Is anyone successfully sequencing JD-Xi in a DAW?

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
soloquest

Is anyone successfully sequencing JD-Xi in a DAW?

Post by soloquest »

Because of the 4 bar limitation and the inability to chain sequences together in a "song" mode, and it isn't going to cut it (for me) to manually advance sequences saved as "favorites" to simulate a "song mode", I've been playing with sequencing the JD Xi in Logic.

Here's what I've tried, mostly unsuccessfully.

My goal is to create a bunch of sequences for my song, then set up the sequencer in Logic to record each part individually on separate tracks, correlating to the MIDI channel of each part. I set the Logic sequencer to the same BPM as the JD Xi, then set the JD Xi to slave to the Logic clock.

Then I would play the "song", manually advancing each of the sequences from the JD Xi's favorite buttons to record the program changes into Logic.

In theory, when all is said and done, I should be able to play the song back in Logic and have it send the program changes to the JD Xi to play an entire song. Then I'm free to "turn knobs" on the JD Xi and have fun.

It didn't quite work like that. It did change programs on the JD Xi, but the program sounds didn't correlate, and the drums were just all garbled together. I think I have to record the the individual program (sounds) number for each individual instrument (part) prior to recording the take. I don't know how to do that yet, or even if I can.

Maybe at some point I can make a movie demonstrating this, if time allows.

Anyone else trying to record this thing into a DAW? What's your experience?
:-)
darkstar679

Re: Is anyone successfully sequencing JD-Xi in a DAW?

Post by darkstar679 »

I use FL Studio.
I can record all the sequences of the JD-Xi as Midi and I also can let play the DAW all 4 tracks of the JD-Xi.

No problem with that. To avid complications after recording the Midi tracks I set the JD-Xi as master so it doesn't react to the DAW Clock source anymore.

I have the problem to create program changes from the DAW to the JD-Xi
rubez

Post by rubez »

darkstar679 wrote:I use FL Studio.
I can record all the sequences of the JD-Xi as Midi and I also can let play the DAW all 4 tracks of the JD-Xi.

No problem with that. To avid complications after recording the Midi tracks I set the JD-Xi as master so it doesn't react to the DAW Clock source anymore.

I have the problem to create program changes from the DAW to the JD-Xi
i am also using FL. I cannot get the JDXI to work with it.

any chance you could do a small guide with what settings etc i need? maybe some screen grabs.

or is it possible to save a template or something? a guy called acidf or facid made a template for the TR8. couldn't do it myself :s

i can use FL, but can't get external gear to work properly. have looked at a load of youtube videos and still can't get it... hate setting up MIDI gear!

the JDXI is great, but i have reached the limit with what i can do with it without a DAW. wish roland included something in the instructions, but no...
darkstar679

Post by darkstar679 »

rubez wrote: i am also using FL. I cannot get the JDXI to work with it.

any chance you could do a small guide with what settings etc i need? maybe some screen grabs.

or is it possible to save a template or something? a guy called acidf or facid made a template for the TR8. couldn't do it myself :s

i can use FL, but can't get external gear to work properly. have looked at a load of youtube videos and still can't get it... hate setting up MIDI gear!

the JDXI is great, but i have reached the limit with what i can do with it without a DAW. wish roland included something in the instructions, but no...
I try:
Set DAW and JD-xi to the same port number in and out at the main configuration panel.
Then make 4 Midi Out plugins, all matched with the same port but different channels.
The channels are:
Synth1 = 1
Synth2 = 2
Drums=10
Analog=3

With this setup you can record 4 different midi tracks of each part.
After the Midi record I clone the patterns in FL Studio 3 times to have 4 patterns.
On pattern 1 I delete Midi track 2+3+4 in piano roll
On pattern 2 I delete Midi track 1+3+4 in piano roll
On pattern 3 I delete Midi track 1+2+4 in piano roll
On pattern 4 I delete Midi track 1+2+3 in piano roll

Now I can add the midi patterns to the Playlist.
After this I set the jd-xi to master and let the DAW play it.
Program changes are a problem.
I didn't fount out to automate them.
Channel 2 is responsible for program changes (but this can be changed on the JD-Xi)

This track is based on a JD-Xi pattern made in FL Studio:
https://soundcloud.com/darkstar679/bass-box
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

darkstar679 wrote:

I try:
Set DAW and JD-xi to the same port number in and out at the main configuration panel.
Then make 4 Midi Out plugins, all matched with the same port but different channels.
The channels are:
Synth1 = 1
Synth2 = 2
Drums=10
Analog=3

After the Midi record I clone the patterns in FL Studio 3 times to have 4 patterns.

Channel 2 is responsible for program changes (but this can be changed on the JD-Xi)

Supperb work darkstar679!!!

Was this done intirely using the JD-Xi ???
darkstar679

Post by darkstar679 »

yes, JD-Xi only. Also the reverb and delay were from the JD-Xi.

Just did a little EQ-ing and a little compression to level it out.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

darkstar679 wrote:yes, JD-Xi only. Also the reverb and delay were from the JD-Xi.

Just did a little EQ-ing and a little compression to level it out.
I'm really impressed with your music! impressive

and with what that little synth can do too
eltouristo

Post by eltouristo »

That is a fun track! Solid.
I almost got JD-Xi, even made a deposit on one. Then passed.
Kinda pissed about no official editor, Roland acts as if it's not practically required.
I know about the third party one for $60.

But being able to transfer patterns to DAW like this, yeah that's a plus for sure.
Can you transfer premade knob moves the same way?

I like to use a sustain pedal sometimes so that's a pain.
If it get JD, I may get a midi pedal and see if I can get it to act as sustain pedal.
If anyone's seen that done please let me know.
darkstar679

Post by darkstar679 »

yes, all parameters can be automated!
on BasBox I've automated the knob moves I do on the synth.
I've first recorded the automation of my live performance and after that I had the chance to tweak them here and there.

I also use the Editor published here in the forum. Meanwhile a really powerful tool to get the sound where you want it.

The only thing to take care about is on recording remove the MIDI in cable. And on the DAW playing put the MIDI in back in place and remove the MIDI out cable....or you will get MIDI echoes.
baz55

Post by baz55 »

darkstar679 wrote: This track is based on a JD-Xi pattern made in FL Studio:
Great track!
eltouristo

Post by eltouristo »

darkstar679 wrote:yes, all parameters can be automated!
on BasBox I've automated the knob moves I do on the synth.
I've first recorded the automation of my live performance and after that I had the chance to tweak them here and there.

I also use the Editor published here in the forum. Meanwhile a really powerful tool to get the sound where you want it.

The only thing to take care about is on recording remove the MIDI in cable. And on the DAW playing put the MIDI in back in place and remove the MIDI out cable....or you will get MIDI echoes.
Which editor was that? Memory Splice? Can you tell me a bit about what you like and don't like about it?
Idk if any of the editors are real-time (all that 'requesting'/loading/waiting is a pain).
I know someone is making one called 'JD-Xi Manager' so far I think it is for the analog OSC area only,
and it's very early version. Anyway, yeah, editor is key topic of mine. I guess there is probably a thread dedictated to it here? Thanks !
darkstar679

Post by darkstar679 »

eltouristo wrote: Which editor was that? Memory Splice? Can you tell me a bit about what you like and don't like about it?
Idk if any of the editors are real-time (all that 'requesting'/loading/waiting is a pain).
I know someone is making one called 'JD-Xi Manager' so far I think it is for the analog OSC area only,
and it's very early version. Anyway, yeah, editor is key topic of mine. I guess there is probably a thread dedictated to it here? Thanks !
Yes, the Memory splice one.
And true, the real time is a little problem, you need to update the sound on the editor on the top left for each synth, but then the connection is done and you can edit and hear the sound changes.
But I like the pay version of the editor and you get a really deep view into the possibilities.
Tu1af

Post by Tu1af »

I'm new to synth software and have a similar question related to using a DAW with the jdxi. I am able to successfully hook up and create the 4 separate channels for the jdxi in ableton live.

When I record the separate channels all but the drum channel is recorded as notes without sound. The drums I play through the jdxi are recorded in ableton as I hear them meaning the notes I hear through the speaker connected to the jdxi match the sounds of the notes that ableton plays back.

The other 3 channels only sound like whatever sound package I set up in ableton. Is there a way to have the sounds I am hearing out of the synth available for recording and playback in ableton?

Right now I am hooking my jdxi up to my computer through usb and using ableton live. I also have fl studio available if that would make the process any easier.

Thanks.
Graesom

Post by Graesom »

darkstar679 wrote:

I try:
The channels are:
Synth1 = 1
Synth2 = 2
Drums=10
Analog=3

darkstar679

Which OS are you using. I just got an Xi, I cannot get FLStudio to recognize it. I'm on XP and the Roland Driver will not install on my OS. So I'm unable to use Vendor mode. Only generic. I believe my computer see the Xi, if I go into audio drivers, it is there in location (0), but FLStudio does not see it. I would really like to get this thing working with FL so I can sequence within it.
knobacon

Post by knobacon »

Using Nuendo here. I've got it connected via 5 pin midi and USB. The 5 pin handles midi clock. The USB handles everything else. Not using the audio interface part at all. Clocking via USB wasn't cutting it. 5 Pin locks/syncs like a champ. I've never had tight sync with outboard hardware synths via a USB midi interface. 5 pin out of my RME Raydat is rock solid so that is what I use for things that absolutely have to be tight.

Once I get a sequence/program I like in the JD I switch it to slave and track the midi into Nuendo in one pass. All 4 parts get recorded on one track so I then use "Dissolve Part" and separate the data by channel. Then I have 4 separate midi tracks. Switch the JD back to Master and I'm off.