How does Roland Cloud work?

Forum to discuss all aspects of Roland's Cloud
iluvchiclets

How does Roland Cloud work?

Post by iluvchiclets »

A very basic question that does not seem apparent on the Roland site...

How does the "cloud" work? After I have downloaded the Aira Plug-out System 8 on my computer, what am I paying for? I already have it downloaded onto my computer. The same goes for the other Plug-outs (Juno 106, Jupiter 8, etc...)

I can understand the Tera piano as needing internet access and a paid subscription, so that you could stream/load the many gigabytes of data piano samples. But what about these VST Plug-outs?
Manic

Re: How does Roland Cloud work?

Post by Manic »

Wait, you can dl the S8 as a VSTi plugin via the cloud?
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Well, you authorise the plugin using your roland username/password, however, after the first month (Which is free) the plugins will omit white/unwanted noise unless you carry on with the subscription.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Manic wrote:Wait, you can dl the S8 as a VSTi plugin via the cloud?
Yes indeed. Minus the sequencer.
iluvchiclets

Post by iluvchiclets »

Thanks Skijumptoes!

So, somehow the VST downloaded to my computer know when a month is up? Or, does it check my account (via internet) quickly each time I start up my VST?

It sounds like it might always require internet data or wi-fi...
iluvchiclets

Post by iluvchiclets »

(...yes, I just did an experiment. I unplugged my internet cable, and then tried to start the System 8 Plug-Out. It would not work, and the words "Expired" were printed across the keyboard image.

Then I plugged in my internet cable once again, and re-started my VST. The System 8 worked perfectly and without hesitation that time...)
Manic

Post by Manic »

I wonder what happens if you plug out (export) a new plugout synth from the cloud to the hardware system 8 or system 1. How is it going to check the account status when plugged out?
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

It immediately expires when you disable internet? lol wow - that is pretty amateur for a cloud service.

Digital rights management should at least let you go a week or something between authorisations, but clearly they're not using such a method and are relying on a simple reply back from their server to the plugin.

I couldn't be dealing with that personally, and hope it's just in the beta phase. In fact, if it's truly that basic this is going to be hacked within weeks, and that won't be good for them at all.
MacTyros

Post by MacTyros »

iluvchiclets wrote:(...yes, I just did an experiment. I unplugged my internet cable, and then tried to start the System 8 Plug-Out. It would not work, and the words "Expired" were printed across the keyboard image.

Then I plugged in my internet cable once again, and re-started my VST. The System 8 worked perfectly and without hesitation that time...)
So it requires an active internet connection...

Pretty much kills the cloud as a gigging tool...
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

Skijumptoes wrote:It immediately expires when you disable internet? lol wow - that is pretty amateur for a cloud service.

Digital rights management should at least let you go a week or something between authorisations, but clearly they're not using such a method and are relying on a simple reply back from their server to the plugin.

I couldn't be dealing with that personally, and hope it's just in the beta phase. In fact, if it's truly that basic this is going to be hacked within weeks, and that won't be good for them at all.
One of their spokesfolk over on FB have said that this reliance on being connected all the time is temporary, and will be resolved in an update soon. I have no idea why they would release it like this, though. It only serves to confirm users' fear over a cloud-based solution.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

You would think the delivery platform would be the very foundations of a cloud service and therefore the stating point for Roland, as without it, it's not actually a cloud service. It's purely online authorisations with a monthly fee.

So far it looks like users are going to be screwed over with all the negatives of a supposed cloud service (authentications/lack of offline usage etc.) and yet gain none of the benefits that a cloud platform offers to make it worthwhile (i.e. Syncing of their patches/settings, installs on multiple machines etc.).

The plugins are far too cpu intensive right now for my liking, shame i've used my free month up with this trial now really as i would prefer to have trialled it deeper into the product maturing. Right now this product isn't for me, or at least it doesn't warrant paying anything more than $5 a month in it's current state. I've not tried the Tera piano etc. but this is from the synths alone.
system 8 Beta User

Post by system 8 Beta User »

No midi learn function for Fader, Controller or Button and all VST GUI are ugly.

A lot of CPU Power for System 8 / Juno 106 and Jupiter 8 VST Plug ins.

Feel by an annual resetit, needs to be optimized much!

Like U-he or Native Instruments (midi learn function, low CPU Power & VST GUI)
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

MacTyros wrote:
iluvchiclets wrote:(...yes, I just did an experiment. I unplugged my internet cable, and then tried to start the System 8 Plug-Out. It would not work, and the words "Expired" were printed across the keyboard image.

So it requires an active internet connection...

Pretty much kills the cloud as a gigging tool...
You need to have an active web connection when loading the VSTi into your DAW. WHen that is done, you no longer need to have a live connection. This is an excellent solution for the majority of the studio users. For live gigging purposes, I suppose you can use the real System-8 and plugout the synths into it.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

How is that excellent for studio owners? It's primitive. There should be a 24/48 hour buffer at the very least.

It only takes your internet to go down, your isp to have problems, a DNS issue somewhere, or Roland's servers to experience downtime and you could be without the tools you promised your customers would be running for the days paid session.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

Skijumptoes wrote:How is that excellent for studio owners? It's primitive. There should be a 24/48 hour buffer at the very least.

It only takes your internet to go down, your isp to have problems, a DNS issue somewhere, or Roland's servers to experience downtime and you could be without the tools you promised your customers would be running for the days paid session.
Hm, yes, you are right, a grace period of at least 12 hours should be a feasible change improvement. And also possibly quite easy to implement: if the plugin cannot access the authorization server uppon loading, it could create an encrypted timestamp marker on the computer and expire a certain number of hours after this. But hey, I am not a Roland developer, so what do I know.