Muting drum parts

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
Morton

Muting drum parts

Post by Morton »

Hello everyone,

I was hoping some of the more knowledgeable posters may be able to help me. I am new to synths and the JD-xi is my first purchase. I am impressed with it and have been watching videos on youtube and reading the manual to try to gain an understanding of how it works, but I still remain incredibly underinformed, so please have patience with me.

Is there any way for us to mute a particular part of a drum pattern (e.g. only mute the kick drum)? If so would it be possible for you to explain how I might go about doing that in an easy to understand way?

I searched google regarding this but found no recent answers. I am running the most up to date version on the JD-xi.

Many thanks.
andypandy

Re: Muting drum parts

Post by andypandy »

One way to individually mute parts would be to select the the the part you want to mute by pressing it on the keyboard. Once it's selected, you can then adjust the Amp/Env Knob all the way to the left and mute that sound.

Unfortunately, theres no way (that I know of) to individually mute multiple drum kit parts at once.

Hope this helps,

Andy
mixe

Post by mixe »

I use the same workaround. Of course, it's not very practical when playing live. This is indeed one of the biggest limitations I found with the JD-Xi drum part and it pushed me to buy a separate drum machine to complement my JD-Xi.

Small reminder: when pressing a drum part on the keyboard to select it, do it very very lightly in order not to trigger a sound.
mixe

Post by mixe »

Another workaround: use Favorites.

This video may help (it shows how to emulate a "Song Mode", which the JD-Xi actually lacks):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPnKQlB7UVo
sostrax

Post by sostrax »

That's odd. I do it all the time. Start the sequencer. You can even hold down the shift button and turn off the other parts. Now with only the Drums part playing. Now use the keyboard to select the drum you want to remove. For example select the Kick drum. You will see the lights on the favorites lit up for each time the drum is used. Just hold down the erase button as it runs through the full sequence (all the measures) to remove the whole kickdrum part.
keith809

Post by keith809 »

one workaround that I use is pairing it with my MC505. Using a midi cable I can mute the JD-Xi drums using the MC505 controls. The only problem is that I can't get the the mc505 and the JD-Xi kits to play the similar sounds on each key. The bass on the MC505 might play a high hat on the same key. Each kit triggers different sounds on different keys,but if I turn the volume down on the drum parts on the mc505 it works well. I know that you can edit drum sounds on the JD-Xi ,but can you say change a bass to a snare or any other sound on each key.
baz55

Post by baz55 »

keith809 wrote: I know that you can edit drum sounds on the JD-Xi ,but can you say change a bass to a snare or any other sound on each key.
Yes you can, you can freely assign any of the 453 drum and percussion samples to any of the 37 keys and each single key can have up to 8 samples in 4 layers assigned to it. Using an editor is highly recommended as it makes this task much easier.
keith809

Post by keith809 »

baz55 wrote:
keith809 wrote: I know that you can edit drum sounds on the JD-Xi ,but can you say change a bass to a snare or any other sound on each key.
Yes you can, you can freely assign any of the 453 drum and percussion samples to any of the 37 keys and each single key can have up to 8 samples in 4 layers assigned to it. Using an editor is highly recommended as it makes this task much easier.
Thanks
DoublePaste

Post by DoublePaste »

It took some head scratching, but I can mute drum parts with a Behringer BCR2000 sending MIDI sysex to JD-XI \o/. Mute buttons set the Output Level for each drum partial (0 mute on, 127 mute off), and also rotary encoders adjust the relative volume balance for each drum partial by setting the TVA Level (0-127).

The JD-XI MIDI Implementation guide provides a parameter address map and an example of an Exclusive Message (SysEx) and BC Manager software can be used to configure a BCR2000 to send sysex if anyone wants to go down this route (rabbit hole).

E.g. for Base Drum 1

BD1 mute:
F0 41 10 00 00 00 0E 12 19 70 2E 16 val 00 F7

BD1 TVA Level:
F0 41 10 00 00 00 0E 12 19 70 2E 0E val 00 F7

('val' is a placeholder for a value set by the buttons and rotary encoders).

Every other setting in the parameter address map can be surfaced in a similar way!
Only some controllers are able to send MIDI SysEx like the BCR2000, but many more can send MIDI CC and NRPN to free up some of the hidden goodness in a similar way (see Skywalkman-GB and ranzee on YouTube).
Stevebol

Post by Stevebol »