Cubase Patch Script Files

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Willem H

Cubase Patch Script Files

Post by Willem H »

Hi All ,

Hereby the Cubase patch script files for the FA-06/08- .
They contain

Studio Sets
Drum Kits + GM2+ All Expansions
Tone + Gm2+ All Expansions .

I used Paname Converter to convert from Sonar ins to Cubase script files , and a little fiddling of myself .

regards

Willem H
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (174.9 KiB) Viewed 6815 times
FA-06- Tone+Drum+Studio _Script.rar
(47.79 KiB) Downloaded 697 times
Odregos

Re: Cubase Patch Script Files

Post by Odregos »

Excellent work!

Thanks
corvax

Post by corvax »

Hi! Thanks for the script file! I tried to install it on Cubase 5 but no success. The list does not appear anywhere so I could easily select a tone.
Could you please share the procedure of adding the scripts?
Attachments
My Cubase screen
My Cubase screen
Capture.PNG (65.92 KiB) Viewed 6154 times
stevel

Post by stevel »

Corvax, I don't think it should be the one that says "CTRL". It should just be "FA-06 08".

Have you "installed" the device in your MIDI Device Manager? (see the image in the original post)

Make sure all your ports are active and showing.
corvax

Post by corvax »

stevel wrote:Corvax, I don't think it should be the one that says "CTRL". It should just be "FA-06 08".

Have you "installed" the device in your MIDI Device Manager? (see the image in the original post)

Make sure all your ports are active and showing.

Thank you stevel! Yes I have installed the device and now all 3 show in the "OUT" list. Also there are these 3 scripts are also shown there. Only when I select the script name (like FA-06-Tone+GM2+EXP...) it turns the program selector into a list of patches. If I chose FA-06 08 (or CTRL or DAW CTRL) the program selector turns into what I had in my previous post - Bank number and patch number.

Another problem I have - when the proper tones list is there and I select a tone, it does not work for all items. On some items turns the FA having no sound at all. For example EXP don't work.
Attachments
Clipboard1.png
Clipboard1.png (33.24 KiB) Viewed 6141 times
stevel

Post by stevel »

corvax wrote:
Also there are these 3 scripts are also shown there. Only when I select the script name (like FA-06-Tone+GM2+EXP...) it turns the program selector into a list of patches. If I chose FA-06 08 (or CTRL or DAW CTRL) the program selector turns into what I had in my previous post - Bank number and patch number.
OK, that works like it should. There are 3 lists so that all of the things in the FA can be selected, and the author of the patch scripts chose to group the Drums and the Studio Sets separately.

That makes sense becuase usually you want to change sounds within a Studio Set for some things, but change the entire Studio Set for other things. You also might want to do them in two separate operations so keeping them separate is smart.

The drums don't have to be separate, nor do the GM patches - you could edit the script so they're all in one if you want. However, again, usually GM and GM2 require different messages to put them in the right mode so you'd want them separate so a sequenced file could call up the right sounds for the right mode.

So there's a bit of logic for there being 3 separate ones.
Another problem I have - when the proper tones list is there and I select a tone, it does not work for all items. On some items turns the FA having no sound at all. For example EXP don't work.
This is actually working correctly too.

You can only load in TWO Exp sets into the FA. But, they're not permanent. You could load in EXP 5 and EXP 7 one day, and then the next day load EXP 1 and EXP 10 in. When you load 1 in, it removes an existing one.

So there's no way to predict which Exp sets a user will install, if any, and then even if they're going to keep the same 2 in all the time.

So these scripts give you access to ALL of the Exp sets should you load them in.

I have Exp 2 and 10 (I think) in mine and don't plan on adding the others, so I just went into my patch script and deleted all the other Exp sets. That way they don't show up on the list.

But what Roland (smartly for once) did was give each Exp set MSB, LSB, and PC message that were *fixed* so you could select them from lists like this. This way, no matter how many times a user installs and replaces Exp 05, then you use the patch script to select the sounds, it's always going to select the right ones.

There are other sounds from Axial you can add into the FA - these take up user memory slots. You could load these in until you run out of memory.

You can also get to them with MSB, LSB, and PC messages, BUT, the order is NOT pre-set like the Exp banks - so there's no way for anyone to predict which sounds are going to be in which user location - all someone could do is make "user 1" "user 2" and so on, and you'd have to go in and edit the script for the sounds you install.
corvax

Post by corvax »

Thanks a lot stevel! This puts all in place. I have been cracking my head yesterday to understand the way it works. Also I created my own script file just to play with it and it appears to be not too bad. I arranged the sounds in the order of Categories, I am more used to the GM layout of patches and this is easier for me to navigate (see attached). The tones are grouped into "A .Piano", "E .Piano", etc like you would see it in a GM gear, so for example all Pianos no matter of it's type (SN-A, SN-S, PCM, GM2) are coming under one Category. Similar to how it is done in the FA and I find this convenient.

Now as this topic seems to be landed in my head will start with the next one - how to combine FA and VST in one project?

Thanks again for your help!
Attachments
FA06 Tones By Cat.zip
Roland FA-X Cubase Patch Script
(23.82 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
stevel

Post by stevel »

corvax wrote: Now as this topic seems to be landed in my head will start with the next one - how to combine FA and VST in one project?
Easy as pie!

But, there's one little distinction:

1. MIDI is not Audio, VST Plug Ins do produce Audio.

What this means is, anything you record on a MIDI track must first be "converted" to audio to be mixed down.

So:

1. If you record a MIDI track that's being sent to a VST, that VST will produce audio that will get mixed down with any other Audio tracks in a project (such as something recorded from a microphone for example, or imported .wav files or drum loops, etc.)

2. If you play the Fantom "live" as an audio instrument into your DAW - at line level just like a Guitar, Bass, or Microphone signal, etc., you'd record it as audio on an audio track.

3. However, most people would prefer to record as MIDI so they can still edit the track later, change sounds, etc. So you can absolutely record the FA's MIDI output onto any MIDI tracks in Cubase.

The difference is, these MIDI tracks will either be sent to a VST as in #1 above, OR, you'll send them BACK out to the FA which will cause it to play.

But it is still not producing any Audio on the track itself (unlike a VST).

To do that:

4. You have to feed the audio from the FA back into the DAW as an AUDIO track to be recorded (just like in #2 above). Then you have audio recorded on a track you can manipulate as such (add effects to it, balance volume, etc.)

Then when you mix down, it's the Audio versions of the FA tracks you've recorded that get mixed down, not the MIDI tracks (because they make no sound on their own).

If you also have VST MIDI tracks, the audio triggered from the VSTs also gets mixed down becuase their sound is "in the box" already - but they don't have to be "converted" from a MIDI track to an audio track like traditional MIDI does (because the instrument is "out of the box").

My working method is generally this:

1. Create a MIDI Track, set the input and output to the FA. Select a patch (via patch script) and record.

Once I'm happy with the performance and the sound:

2. Create an audio track and set the input for it to the FA (which receives the audio from the FA's audio jacks in my case, though the USB port could be used).

3. I arm the Audio track to record (so it records any audio coming in, which will come from the FA) and still have the original MIDI track playing back. When I press record, the MIDI track plays, triggers the FA to make sound, and that sound gets recorded on to the Audio track.

It seems kind of over-kill, but that's the way you have to do it (and had to do it back in the old days when we'd mix from a sequencer down to a separate tape machine).

You could send MULTIPLE MIDI tracks to your FA (like all 16 parts) and then mix down that audio (the sound output from the FA) to a SINGLE Stereo Audio Track.

However, you could also send each single MIDI track to a single Audio track. Doing it this way keeps each individual audio track generated from each individual MIDI track separate so you could still do things like apply an effect to just ONE of the sounds, not all of them. Do be aware though that this method means you have to do each individual track individually, in real time!

Based on your other thread about the MFX and TFX, etc, what most people usually do is record their Audio DRY (no effects) and add effects in the DAW instead.

Something like Wah, you might want to record "live", but a delay - usually the ones in the DAW give you so much more control so unless an effect is "an integral part" of the sound itself on the FA, I'd use the DAW version instead, applying it to the audio track.

BTW, you could, if you wanted, also convert a VST track to real audio as well.

So here's where this becomes apparent:

Let's say you want to do some old-school backwards tape effect.

If you record MIDI, and reverse it, it simply changes the order of the events, it doesn't make it sound "backwards".

If you send that MIDI to a VST, while the VST itself produces audio, still reversing the MIDI track you recorded in will only reverse the order of the events, not the audio itself.

So in order to reverse the audio part of a VST track, you'd have to first convert it to audio (mix down just that track and import it back into the project as an audio clip).

With external instruments like the FA, again you'd have to either record the audio in live, or use a MIDI track to trigger the FA and then record audio from it's outputs - but either way, it's got to be an audio track first before you can reverse it and get that reversed tape sound.

So while it may seem like an "extra step" to "convert" MIDI to audio with an outboard synthesizer, for some types of effects, the same thing may in fact be necessary on an in the box VST.

But on the whole, VSTs just allow you to record MIDI in, and have it spit Audio out, which can mixed down with no further ado if you so desire. And that's why people like them (well, one major reason, there are many).
corvax

Post by corvax »

stevel, this is brilliant! Thanks.

The more I get into the FA the more I love it as a stage performance unit, however it is a bit disappointing that you still have to use DAW for composing. I thought this keyboard will be enough for proper music recording with midi and audio. But may be it is too much for this price tag.
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo »

I try to load this 3 txt files into Cubase 9 but Cubase 9 don't recognized the fils in the midi device set up.
Anyone knows a solution to this problem?
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo »

Anyone?
Willem H

Post by Willem H »

Hi Kimbo ,

for placing the txt file and importing it in your cubase , there is a pdf file on the web .
just google for ,

" Installing Cubase Patch Scripts - Roland ".

It's also in the attachment .

You have to work around your windows/cubase version ,
just follow the pdf and you will be okay .

Works with my script file , on top of this topic .....

have fun

regards Willem H
Attachments
cubase_readme.pdf
Installing Cubase Patch Scripts - Roland
(546.66 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo »

Hi Willem,

This is work very well for me.
Many thanks for explaining it to me.

Kind Regards Kimbo.

BTW great job to make this files.
Willem H

Post by Willem H »

Hi all ,

hereby , for cubase the script file .
just like the one I uploaded before but with the Exp-11

have fun ,

Willem H
Attachments
FA-06- Tone+Drum+Studio _Script.rar
Exp-11 included
(48.47 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
o.durmusoglu

Post by o.durmusoglu »

Willem H wrote:Hi all ,

hereby , for cubase the script file .
just like the one I uploaded before but with the Exp-11

have fun ,

Willem H

Is this script for controlling FA from DAW? Is it possible from Cubase / Reaper?