ROLAND FANTOM X8 OS USB CONNECT FAILURE PLEASE HELP !!

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
karrolluss

ROLAND FANTOM X8 OS USB CONNECT FAILURE PLEASE HELP !!

Post by karrolluss »

Hello. I have my Roland Fantom x8 for many years. Suddenly I can't connect it with a PC. In usb storage mode and in midi mode as well. I tried everything. I changed the usb cable, I tried to connect to another pc. I tried to reinstall drivers but windows doesn't see new device when installing. I tried to update fantom OS but I have " Format check of update file....... [ERR]" during update. I tried to format CF card in FAT, FAT 32. Finally I formated the card inside Roland Fantom. Nothing Changed. PLEASE HELP !!!
karrolluss

Re: ROLAND FANTOM X8 OS USB CONNECT FAILURE PLEASE HELP !!

Post by karrolluss »

Hey. I managed to update Roland fantom x8 os to 1.07 with a new CF card. But It still does not connect to my pc. I cannot install the driver. I have this dialog box and nothing is happening:

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/3103/AnnvOE.jpg

I tried to connect my Roland both in MIDI and USB storage mode.

HELP PLEASE. Anyone?
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

What OS are you using on your PC?
karrolluss

Post by karrolluss »

Windows 7 home edition 64bit
karrolluss

Post by karrolluss »

Sorry for the delay with my answer. I gave my Roland FANTOM to my friend magician in electronics etc. He changed usb port, changed switches and did whole his magic with it he could. This instrument is now like a new one. AND IT STILL DOES NOT CONNECT TO PC.

I HAVE NO IDEAS AT ALL WHAT TO DO. I THINK I DID EVERYTHING I COULD :-(
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

Did you try running the "Clean-All USB Driver Utility" from Roland and then re-installing the drivers???
Just a guess, may worth trying that too.

LA
karrolluss

Post by karrolluss »

Yes I tried. I tried also on 4 different computers. It must be something with the Fantom
karrolluss

Post by karrolluss »

Is there a chance that some virus came through my pc to fantom and damaged fantom os?
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

I reckon you might have a dodgy cable. One of mine worked fine with my printer but the Fantom never liked it. Likewise, my USB floppy drive's cable solved my SatNav's connection issues. I would try several cables just in case; just because they work with one device doesn't mean they'll work with everything.
karrolluss

Post by karrolluss »

Thank you but I tried 4 different cables. Nothing changed. "USB access" on fantom screen is flashing red for 1 second and then it goes off and is waiting for connection. Curious thing is that when I pull the cable off the "USB disconnected" info come out. So it means that both the calbel and the usb port are ok I presume.
Any other ideas?
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

My first question is "what has changed".
(My second is "Did you remember to pay the roadie?")

I assume you are connecting directly to the PC and not through as USB hub.

Have you tried it with a PC that has a different OS.
Ideally XP with SP 2 or 3

Check the physical position of the USB pins inside the socket on the FanX.
Have a look and make sure they are clean, evenly spaced and not damaged.
Does it change if you move the plug about in the socket?

Like any socket it can develop problems with its connection to the printed circuit board inside the FanX, but as it has a mounting screw through the case close by it is less likely.

As far as a virus is concerned it is unlikely as it would have had to have been written specifically for the FanX and unless you are enriching uranium with your synth and you live in Ir... ah sorry.

It really feels like it is connector related FanX PCB->socket ->Plug -> cable -> Plug -> socket PC

Try and find someone that has a working PC/FanX system that will let you try your synth.
If it works then you can rule in/out your synth & cable. - I'm in Melbourne Australia

All the best
Royce
gdh

Post by gdh »

I tried the usb with a laptop (Win 10) for the first time yesterday, no luck. I have an old iMac that never gave me issues with midi or usb with the Radias or Prophet 08 so might dig that out if storage and try it. I should also try the MacBook Pro.