MV-8800 Playing patterns

Forum for MV-8000/8800
kolor

MV-8800 Playing patterns

Post by kolor »

I've got a simple question about MV-8800. Is there a posibility to play live a pattern with muting and unmuting tracks and then change this pattern to another? Any mpc and groovebox can do it but I can't find how to do it with MV. I've got the pattern mode where I can mute tracks but I can't change the pattern live from one to another & I've got the pattern play mode where I can change the patterns but I can't edit (mute/unmute tracks) them. Any advices?
otbt

Re: MV-8800 Playing patterns

Post by otbt »

I don't play live, but theoretically you can do that on the MV.
Never owned an MPC so i don't know how exactly it does it, but i have the MC-808 groovebox in which you can switch patterns and mute/unmute the 16 parts. But on the MV the approach is different and more complex, and the result can be way more creative!
To do it you need to organize properly your instruments (each with 16 pads and 6 banks!) and tracks (128 MIDI tracks!), and mute/unmute tracks, so consider each track as an individual pattern so to speak...
Same with live drumming, by switching tracks up & down with the cursor buttons each track is like a sample bank in MPC style.
And of course don't forget about the SMT!
Hope that make sense...
conecthink

Post by conecthink »

and what about..assigning resampled patterns to patches push the release time to 127 and when you click the pad you have the entire pattern playing... you can hit multiple patterns at the same time to mix patterns..and they mute when you stop pressing them. or you have patterns with release time low so they stop when you stop holding down the pad.

they wont loop I think. but that can be fixed by having one long ass pattern playing. or just be busy and looping it yourself by tapping pads in time. and you can also have a couple patterns in 'excl groups' in quick setting to cut each other off. lets say the patterns you wanna build on are four long patterns on the bottom pads. you press pad 1 the long pattern starts playing and you can mix stuff in and out from other patterns by tapping or holding pads. when its time to switch to another main pattern you press pad 2 which cuts off 1 and you continue.

something like that :-) if you put some thought in it you can do it like that I think
conecthink

Post by conecthink »

btw the patterns do loop in a patch..by just pressing a pad...have to set the loopmode to forward instead of oneshot.

what I did notice was that the pattern loses volume with the 127release time unless you hold the pad down which isnt ideal...but maybe thats fixable
conecthink

Post by conecthink »

otbt wrote:by switching tracks up & down with the cursor buttons each track is like a sample bank in MPC style.Hope that make sense...
to add to this...you can hold down shift and padbank. and you get the track mute window to mute and unmute tracks..
kolor

Post by kolor »

In first words thanks for all of the advices.

OK, so what I see is that You CAN'T switch from one pattern to another with ability of muting/unmuting tracks on the fly. It's really sad that such complex machine can't do such a simple thing. It's strange for me because it's one of the basic abilities of playing live (like I said, every cheap groovebox can do that).

Yeah, I know, I can turn to song mode and make a sort of map for my patterns and then mute/unmute 128 midi tracks (using 16 tracks for song give me 8 songs in one/ using 32 tracks give me 4 sons on the one map etc.) on the fly but this is not a point. MPC 4000 can have 128 tracks per sequence and I can change it on the fly with ability of muting/unmuting tracks. Really strange that Roland don't implemented this function which was a sort of basics (MC-909 and MC-808 can do it).