Mod/Pitch Wheel Defect

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
jblongz

Re: Mod/Pitch Wheel Defect

Post by jblongz »

I am randomly having this problem again after replacing the mod wheel. Not sure what is causing it.
Firebass

Post by Firebass »

I'm starting to think it is a problem with the wire terminals in the unit. The wire is constantly being torqued on while bending or mod... It seemed to me the wire was very tight. Almost like it was pulling on the connection. Maybe a little rubber adhesive at the wire terminal base would help reduce or stop a intermittent connection. Take a look at the white wire and you'll see what I'm talking about.
jblongz

Post by jblongz »

So I gave up after two replacements. The FA series pitch wheel is not reliable for consistent use. The engineers overlooked something in design and it is sure to be a problem if you're an avid user of pitch-bending techniques. My Roland A-49 midi controller has over 5 years of extensive wheel usage and still performs well. The FA part did not last 6 months. Roland, I hope your team is paying attention. For this reason alone, my FA-06 is now retired.
rgrote

Post by rgrote »

For anyone who has replaced the pitch bender on a FA-06 or similar, would you please share the part number(s)? And / or a reliable source for getting the parts. Roland does sell internal replacement parts direct to the end user and longer and want you to go through a sales / service center now. Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Ray
rgrote@comcast.net
Xanadu1209

Post by Xanadu1209 »

I'm having problems with mine not bending down all the way. It works when you first power up but after using the bender for a few seconds it starts to malfunction. If I have it set to bend down two whole steps, it'll only bend down like 1.7 steps, so to speak. I'm going to try replacing the potentiometer to see if that fixes the issue. It doesn't seem to be caused by a bad connection, at least on my unit.
MINDKeys

Post by MINDKeys »

Mine just developed the Pitch bend problem, pitch bend Down only gives around half the value it supposed to and it's very erratic in the center with just a liitle touch. Confirmed on the FA Diagnostics screen.

Does anyone know where i can buy the full assembly replacement in Europe?

(I tried asking Roland directly but if it is like other querys they will either take months to answer or say it has to be with a third party assistance company. Also enquired the local third party assistence company wich will probably give me an estimate of 3 times the value of the assembly...)
FB1965

Post by FB1965 »

Hi everyone,
I had the same problem as you after 5 years of use and I solved it in a simple way.
I opened my FA08 and verified that the wiring leading from the Mod/Pitch was not properly locked.
This situation caused the connector to move every time I moved the Mod/Pitch.
It was enough to re-insert the wiring in its seat and block it with hot glue and the problem is gone.