compact flash question

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
booyakasha12

compact flash question

Post by booyakasha12 »

Hey guys,
I was looking at acquiring another X for production. Is the 2gig compact flash still the largest gig flash card that works on the X? I see so many ebay auctions with 8 or 16gig cf flash cards for the X.
Just wondering what the largest, fastest card was these days.
LA Keys

Re: compact flash question

Post by LA Keys »

I'm using a 4 GB compact flash (Sandisk Ultra 30mb/s) without any problem except the reported free space is wrong on the fantom X.

LA
booyakasha12

Post by booyakasha12 »

thanks.. so in essence you are able to get 4 gigs? Or just 2 gigs?
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

My fantom x can read everything on the card, so I get 4 gb.

LA
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

Btw, I'm pretty sure i've read that some had problem with 8 Gb card, but everything was fine with 4 Gb

LA
booyakasha12

Post by booyakasha12 »

thanks..
also, I can't recall.. if I was to create tracks, and then copy them into a pattern(say pattern 1).
If I want to add more tracks, can I delete what I've done in those prior tracks(and they still stay in that first pattern) letting me add new tracks?
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

Just as FYI - I have a Fantom XR and I use both the "original" PCMCIA to CF card reader (the one that came with update/upgrade to the sampler function) and a PCMCIA to SD card reader they BOTH work.

The PCMCIA-to-SD (and SMC, MMC, and a few other formats) cards are a little harder to find now but if you can find one it opens up another media format for exchange of files to/from PC or whatever as well as plain storage.
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

Would using a PCMCIA-to-SD adapter with an SD card make sample loading faster? Just wondering.
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

No, SD cards will not be faster, or slower, than CF cards so don't waste money on ultra fast CF or SD cards. Fantoms are not high speed camera's - the load time "bottleneck" is the Fantom buss interface architecture not the media.

I use some really generic CF and SD cards to high end, name brand, ultra fast cards they all have same load times and same WRITE times.