Create custom appregiators

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Yeotao

Create custom appregiators

Post by Yeotao »

Hello guys,
Noob here again to roland fa06.
Been scrolling thru the appregiators patterns for some cover songs but it didnt fit so I have to create my own.

I saw some slots for the user Patterns so it should be possible..but I can't find the menu for them /how to create user patterns!:(

Any idea how to create user appregiator Patterns?
Many thanks guys,
TragicBeatzs

Re: Create custom appregiators

Post by TragicBeatzs »

I don't think you can create your own arps in the FA like that. You have to create them in a DAW and then import them into the FA as a midi file. There might be another way to do it but as far as I know at the moment thats the only way to do it.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

You can create custom arps onboard the FA without a DAW. In the sequencer (or step sequencer) create your arp pattern 2-8 bars long on track 1. Then open a User Arpeggio slot, press the button for "Import Song" and import track 1. It will save automatically and also loop without any editing. In the Arp screen, make sure the Motif is set to Pattern and there's your arp. It will transpose whenever you change the key pressed, and it can also take Poly Arps as well. Just remember to have the motif set to pattern, that way it will play back exactly what was programmed into the sequencer.

Now that I think of it, it doesn't matter how long an Arp pattern is, other than how many note events it can take. Not sure of that number, it's in the manual somewhere, but I think it's quite a lot.

Make sure the Motif is set to 'Phrase" - PiaKnowGuy

Edit; Thanks for the correction PiaKnowGuy, of course "Phrase" it is, I was programming a drum machine while posting that so had pattern stuck in my head. They both begin with P so I was half-way there.....
R.U.Doin

Post by R.U.Doin »

Lunar wrote:
Now that I think of it, it doesn't matter how long an Arp pattern is, other than how many note events it can take. Not sure of that number, it's in the manual somewhere, but I think it's quite a lot.
If I remember correctly you can use 512 events.
PugFace

Post by PugFace »

Please note if you have a song loaded that you are working on, you will need to save that first and just load in the next init song (it remembers the last studio!! excelent), put in your pattern on any track (not just track one), as its best to experiment with the patch that you favour, then when prompted to load in the required to track at a User ARP as guided before then any track can be selected.

You dont need to save the init song.

Note The ARP is loaded from measure 1 at the beginning of the track selected hence if you try to load in an ARP from a developing song then the ARP saving will not work correct. It needs a clean song to start with.

One way of getting round the limited number of memories for user ARPs is to save a ARP song that has 16 tracks of different ARPs.
This way you can recover any of these whenever you want. its just a matter of going through the procedure above with the ARP song not init song.

ARPs are recorded straight as notes to tracks (remember to switch off quantitise when you do this).
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Do you record the arp in the key of c then? or does it not matter?
PugFace

Post by PugFace »

I am not sure but i am guessing it takes the first note entered as the reference as other synths do this. Experiment and try it out starting at other keys.