Roland D-50 Plugout on the Horizon?

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
zombietactics

Roland D-50 Plugout on the Horizon?

Post by zombietactics »

A couple of notable online reviewers have made mention that Roland has been dropping hints at a "fully functional D-50 recreation on Roland Cloud" later this year.

I see this as a make-it break or break-it moment for Roland regarding System-8 support.

If they release a D-50 VST on Roland Cloud, but no plug-out for System-8 ... this strongly indicates that Roland either planned the System-8 poorly, or has abandoned the product so far as further plug-outs are concerned.

Alternately, if they can only support plugs which require no base of sample-snippets, releasing another analog recreation that time frame is a must, IMHO. That would indicate that Roland is at least attempting to support the product and realize its potential.
Tom_1970

Re: Roland D-50 Plugout on the Horizon?

Post by Tom_1970 »

I think a recreation of the D-50 can be very interesting.
I had the VC-1 D-50 and that's the main reason I sometimes miss my VariOS.

However, I wonder if a D-50 plugout version for the System-8 is that interesting for me.
Although I think the System-8 is a great controller for the S8 and plugout engines, I doubt that it will be handy for the D-50.

Personally I would prefer a D-50 boutique version.
SepticUnderground

Post by SepticUnderground »

I dont see how a D50 could be used on a System8, totally different layout. All those partials etc.

Still love my VariOS+VC1 card....Sounds so ballsy.
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

Well, as I know the D50 uses samples (besides LAS). I am not sure if S8 can load samples.

"By joining 8-bit PCM samples with "LAS" synth-generated sounds, the D-50 is capable of unique and complex sounds. The PCM samples contained the attack transients, while the rest of the sound came from the Linear Arithmatic Synth (LAS) section which sounds very analog, with subtractive-style synthesis and low-pass-resonant filters. Built-in chorus and (for the first time) digital reverb are also included for giving your sounds space and life! It also has a joystick controller for real-time timbre manipulation. The D-50 was great for new and non-acoustic, percussive, ethereal and beautiful pads & sounds."
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

The D50 is a digital synth. ACB is designed to emulate analogue synths. So I can't imagine the D50 plugout happening.
scottkahn

Post by scottkahn »

I don't think Roland needs anything more to make or break the System-8. In one box now, even if you don't fill the third plug-out slot, you have three synths: a System-8, a Jupiter 8, and a Juno 106. Each of these sounds fantastic, and significantly different from one another. And, you can make splits/layers combining sounds from two of these at once.

The synth doesn't have to be more or do more to be a fantastic instrument and fantastic value as it stands right now. Now if only I could decide what I'd like to put in slot #3....

Scott
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

A Prophet, Moog or Obie plugout would be preferable. At this stage, my interest level in the D-50 is close to zero.
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

If Roland are to release anymore plugout's it will be the JX8, the JX3P boutique coding has already been written, it just needs tweaking to add 8 voices and change it to what the JX8 was, I think that will be coming.

As for the D50 agreed if there is a way to import samples into the System 8 it would happen. Maybe it can but just needs an upgrade like the Waldorf synths did.

One of the reasons I've kept my V-Synth XT is the D50 card built in, love it.
system 8 Beta User

Post by system 8 Beta User »

Yes, V-Synth XT was higher quality, Roland to invest money and brains. Full Metal :)
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

system 8 Beta User wrote:Yes, V-Synth XT was higher quality, Roland to invest money and brains. Full Metal :)
In your opinion.

I sold my V Synth. Didn't like it. Love my plastic green pile of crap.
Manic

Post by Manic »

I think this is pretty solid proof of the D50 coming as a plug-out for the S-8!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (134.47 KiB) Viewed 4730 times
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Looks like we've backed a winner.
andyr1960

Post by andyr1960 »

Manic wrote:I think this is pretty solid proof of the D50 coming as a plug-out for the S-8!
"Legendary Series" only relates to SH-101, System 100, ProMars & SH-2 for the System 1 that can be used in the System 8 - they're all analogue emulations, nothing to do with later digital synths. The D50 would be impractical to show-horn into the System 8, although a VST/AU would be feasible, but if it's not designed for the System 8 then what's the future of the Plug-Out format?

I'm hoping for an expansion on the System-100, maybe the System-700. The Sys 8's upgraded DSPs are capable of doing something like that.
jerry_merry

Post by jerry_merry »

Not all the Cloud synths sit in the legendary category........

SO far it includes only the existing plugouts and the soundcanvas (which clearly will not run on a System 8)

Roland cloud are being quite clever with their words.

https://www.rolandcloud.com/instruments/legendary
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

I think clarity on the S8 plugouts would be good. If they already know what they have in development surely it would be a great marketing ploy.
I have no interest in the Cloud service. Just what bespoke plugouts will be available for my S8.