Overlay / Graphic panel for FA-06 and FA-08

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Skijumptoes

Re: Overlay / Graphic panel for FA-06 and FA-08

Post by Skijumptoes »

Oh, that's interesting, it will be great to see what you end up with! - Generally, i don't mind how mine looks, scratches have never bothered me on any equipment as it can get moved about so often, and i can read everything fine on the FA despite it's flaws.

But i think what you're doing looks great! A Juno 60 inspired coloured version would look pretty cool on the FA in my opinion though, i just love that look on Roland gear, i would much have preferred the FA to be in the same style, but alas the DS sits in that range now.
tomkitel

Post by tomkitel »

Myrk- wrote:Soon... I've sent over my cash for setting up the machine at the factory, and the company I'm using is currently altering the drawings for their systems - I reviewed the latest set this morning and only had 2 minor errors to correct, so I imagine by the end of the week the prototype will be sent out to me. This being said I prefer to work like id software and refrain from an exact date - it's done when it's done, and properly! :)

What I can confirm is that the first batch will have 40 red/black, and 10 b&W overlays. I will keep 1 of each for myself, but those wanting B&W it's a first come first served basis for first batch of just 9!
Hello Myrk-
Will you announce the availability of the overlays here in the forum or are you going to send a note to the list of interested forum members?

Best wishes,
Tom
adammiller415

Post by adammiller415 »

I'll definitely take one of the red and black ones. Great to see people so passionate!
rolandgurl

Post by rolandgurl »

I love the Orange one! I just wached one of Eds videos and even on my tiny phone screen his letters were White and very visible.. the Xa and Xi have the same problem...
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Yer the issue is when you take these devices into actual gig scenarios. Unless you're a lounge player your lighting will be dimmed quite a bit, and at that point these devices are unusable. Seriously don't know how Roland never tested turning the lights down in the dev room!

I'll keep everyone posted here when they are ready. Chinese New Year in the mainland really slows it all down till mid next week.
adammiller415

Post by adammiller415 »

Any updates Myrk?
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Hi all. Awaiting final prototype (cost me $90 USD to fix a tiny 1/2mm issue!). I'm aware this is draggin gout now so I've haggled the factory to speed up the whole project as I've been delayed a bit recently by factory priority (this is a tiny order in China terms so always gets bumped to the bottom of the pile) and by real life unfortunately... (I'm an architect running 3 country markets so my time to do stuff is limited!) but in interesting ways which could see me moving more into the music industry for my day job after having firm discussions with a multi-millionaire character here in HK, which would see me making contacts with all the major names in the industry, so perhaps fun times ahead (I'll keep people posted on that too)! But on the front of this faceplate, really soon... as in within 4 weeks before I have a final product ready to sell! :)
Pierre118

Post by Pierre118 »

Any update, @Myrk ?
TragicBeatzs

Post by TragicBeatzs »

I would love to have one of these covers. How do I buy one? I'd love to see what the silver looks like and maybe a dark green one. I know the pads will still be red but Green and red aren't bad colors. If you have Yellow that would be great too cause my studio is Yellow, black and red and Id like to maybe keep that theme going. PLEEEEEASE take some photos of your different color schemes for me cause this has made me like 3x as excited as when I bought my Fa06
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Still waiting on the final prototype, ARG! Because it's a small order I get bumped down all the time by big orders as this job doesn't really make the company I'm using any money - this is to keep the final cost lower. The factory is used to making thousands of 1 item for full commercial sale, but I have a good relationship with some of the people there so they accommodate my tiny orders (for those who play electronic drums I make a curved membrane edge trigger for DIY cymbals - I used the same group to make those which ended out fantastic). I'll post here as soon as I have an update, and final product will also be advertised on the FA facebook groups for those who don't check here as often!

Initial colour schemes are 40 Red/Black/White, 10 Black/White. If it sells well I can maybe look into doing an Orange/Grey and a Green/Black, for those wanting to match to old Roland or new Aira gear.

Actually the pads on the FA aren't the big colour issue for most as they change between green and red as expected - it's more the pots and buttons with their red glows, which would involve changing LEDs out... doable but would be a really in depth mod to pull off!
TragicBeatzs

Post by TragicBeatzs »

Oooo man Green and black would be so fucking sexy! Man I can't wait till you done cause i want one of them sooo bad! How would someone go about changing the LED lights? I would love to have my Led lights changed to maybe a purple or green cause if I could get my screen to be black and purple then I'd love to have purple lights or vice versa ya know! Just keep me posted man I'm so excited lol
adammiller415

Post by adammiller415 »

TragicBeatzs wrote:How would someone go about changing the LED lights?
Would be fairly straight forward, you'd have to crack open the keyboard, find what type of LED's it uses to illuminate the pots and then replace them with said replacement. A decent temperature controlled soldering iron and a solder pump would probably be extremely helpful in achieving a clean result.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Straight forward in principal, but the reality is more complex - the LED's, as far as I'm aware, are quite hard to change out. The biggest issue is when LED's are incorporated into the buttons - these are almost impossible to change out - you need to replace the entire button I think. The soldering size on the PCB is also not a standard easy soldering size - you need a precision solder bit and a really steady hand!

My honest advice is find a professional electrical engineer to swap them out - probably wouldn't be too expensive if you supply them with all the parts. Last thing you wanna do is brick your keyboard, and the moment you fiddle with the PCB Roland would charge you for an entire board replacement in repair which is most of the cost of the whole keyboard!
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Update: Factory is beginning production today! Should have them very soon :D
strongergodzilla

Post by strongergodzilla »

Myrk- wrote:Update: Factory is beginning production today! Should have them very soon :D
excellent news. How will we place an order?