getting back into samples with the FA06 - question

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
seratone

getting back into samples with the FA06 - question

Post by seratone »

I rented an FA06 a couple of days ago and so far I'm convinced I'm going to purchase it - just debating going for the 88 key version or not.

For fun and at the request of a bandmate - I created a sample for Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve - I couldn't use the original song nor the source material (drums, noise, vocal distractions) - I ended up making my own.

I used the stereo string patch and recorded it in Garageband on two tracks (pad and Lead). I noticed even though I carefully cut the end point of my sample in Garageband before loading it into the FA06 - once there, I had to do it all again.

I noticed this with other drum loops I loaded up. Editing the end point is tricky, as occasionally the increments of the data wheel were too great to do granular editing. I take it in this case you magnify the loop? Is there an easier way of doing this? I recall my BOSS SP202 sampler from the 90's could recognise the end of a .Wav loop.

I realize this must have been answered 1000 times but do users of this forum share samples? I used to use Phatdrumloops.com - but I've pretty well exhausted that- - it's been about 15 years since I brought samples into my keys playing .... I'm getting back into it so I'm sure there's new stuff out there...
Skijumptoes

Re: getting back into samples with the FA06 - question

Post by Skijumptoes »

Take note of the 1,2,3,4,5,6 Circled parameters in sample edit, these relate to the sound modify knobs on the left of the FA.

I tend to use Knob 3 to zoom in/out for fine editing and then move knob 1/2 to go to start/end point edit and then use the data wheel, or inc/dec buttons to fine tune it, i find it super quick.

And to be honest, i think the FA just loads up the whole wav file and the end point is the end of the file, i don't know if it supports loop markers in files or not, can't recall ever seeing it auto detect.

And as for sample libraries, there's just tons of it out there, you looking for heavy breakbeat type samples, or single drum shots?
seratone

Post by seratone »

thanks Skijumnptoes - going to try that tonight - for samples - I know depth of what's out there is huge.
I'm not looking for single shots - In the 90's I used to handle all the female back up Vocals - they were taken from the original recordings we were re-producing.

What I'm really looking for is 'Manchester' beats and loops - think the early nineties - I believe the genre was called 'Baggy'...Happpy Mondays, Stone Roses, Honey's dead era Jesus and Mary Chain , ( I have the famous JB Break beat they used for 'Fool's Gold')...
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Oh mate, damn, i've been seeking similar myself only this week.

I've resorted to buying vinyl records from charity shops for the odd quid here and there in the hope of finding some gems myself, trouble is it seems everything is folky/country round here - i need to find some funk/soul stuff somewhere, probably head in to the city.

Whosampled.com is quite a good inspiration for getting an idea of which records were sampled. I honestly don't know if such a collection exists for such samples though.

What i have found is that most sample libraries are a bit too EDM heavy now, too much glitch/dubstep going on, and most of the breaks are just too overly compressed and clinical - hence my vinyl obsession that's breaking out! :)

And what was the female vocals thing about that you done?
stevel

Post by stevel »

Skijumptoes wrote: And to be honest, i think the FA just loads up the whole wav file and the end point is the end of the file, i don't know if it supports loop markers in files or not, can't recall ever seeing it auto detect.
This is my understanding as well. You have to edit the original wav file in the DAW to get super precise, which is usually easier in the DAW (though GB has its limitations as well).
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Alot of times i will just loop the sample in the sequencer and not worry about an end point, and just set the tempo of the sequencer till it fits! :)

I do like to use a breakbeat and then go over it with Part 10 Supernatural Drums though, think that sounds really nice on the FA to have a loop underneath to give extra character.