Can you append songs with the sequencer?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
JOHN G

Can you append songs with the sequencer?

Post by JOHN G »

in an effort to simulate what I can do with the Yamaha Motif sequencer, which breaks down the sequence into 16 sections, which can then be daisy chained in any order to create a song, allowing you to work on the song in smaller parts before joining them...

as opposed to playing a song from start to finish, and having to worry about making a mistake in the last measure! LOL....

so, is there a way to append songs in the FA-08?
PugFace

Re: Can you append songs with the sequencer?

Post by PugFace »

I have a Korg m50 and it also does assembly by sections to form a song. Its a great way of doing higher level editing but alas the Fa does not have this feature.
However there is a way around it (but not ideal) and that is to sample the sections you want and then string the sections together as samples in another song. You can make another song with the samples produced but you have to either:
1. copy the samples from one song to another via a PC by copying their files from one folder to another.
or
2. produce the midi sections in one song as the build song. using the loop feature possibly. then make a copy of the song remembering to tick the copy samples entry so all the samples are copied across to another song. then remove all the midi from the new song and use this to order your samples in the manner you see fit.

But neither of these match what Korg or Yamaha do.
JOHN G

Post by JOHN G »

thanks for the reply...yes, too bad, as that sounds like way too much trouble...

appending sequences used to be a standard thing on almost all keyboard sequencers "back in the day", of which ENSONIQ had it down pat....

my Motif , with it's sixteen sections, comes the closest to that......

doing a song from start to finish reminds me of the old days of tape recording....defeats the whole purpose of having digital equipment if that is the only option.
cda

Post by cda »

I might be misunderstanding things here, but you CAN append a song. If you record say 8 bars and mess up on the 9th, you can delete the 9th and start recording again at the beginning of the 9th. If by append you mean pattern chaining, then no, the FA sequencer is not pattern based.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

This was a big issue for me too! Kinda wish I got a Motif now... lol
LivingEdge

Post by LivingEdge »

Inside the editor you can copy midi tracks and append them,
but it's a little painful to keep track of everything.

External software is much easier to use.