System-8 vs. JP-08

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
Acidizer

Re: System-8 vs. JP-08

Post by Acidizer »

buckyswider wrote:
Acidizer wrote:
buckyswider wrote:Anyhow, if anyone wants a setting breakdown from the JP-08 to try to recreate on the S8 let me know...
me for one, definitely. though we'd need to determine what patches aren't overlaps, and what ones are unique to the JP08. interested in pad sounds especially :)

i would without a doubt recommend the system-8 if you can - maybe trade in the boutique against it. i was hesitant because of the price tag, humming and hawing whether to pull the trigger, since it'll probably end up in the GAS pile unloved... but i have been using it more than all my other synths put together. i "get it out" most days! very inspiring and flexible. you could spend years mastering it, unless you were already a guru. the 8 voice limit hasn't been an issue for me personally, but i am getting an MPC live to multi-track the hell out of it, like the YT guy you mentioned, i assume.

check this guy out. he records parts at a time, then assembles them, i think that's what you meant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WHra6RgAeQ
Here's the factory patch list; let me know which you want. It will be a screenshot type of operation, so pretty tedious. http://media.aadl.org/files/catalog_gui ... ndlist.pdf

In the meantime, here's the lead riff from this video, if anyone want to take a shot at recreating it on the S8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1XXRduzLok

EDIT; Looks like you'll need to right click/edit it new tab (on windows/chrome at least) to see the full image. Maybe if I link a smaller image the whole thing will show up? But then it will probably be hard to read...
hi, there's some nice looking presets there which i don't recognise from the S8.

basically any pads i am after.

Sine Glass, Somber Pad, Black Hole, Galaxy Pad, Trans-Pad, Radiation Belt all sound good on paper... but if you are still up for it, there is a YT video with all the JP08 presets previewed. so i could check that out and see what sounds good!
buckyswider

Post by buckyswider »

sure, just let me know what sounds good and i'll screen-shot!
Acidizer

Post by Acidizer »

buckyswider wrote:sure, just let me know what sounds good and i'll screen-shot!
awesome... cheers!

wonder why the patches are different between the JP08 and S8.
buckyswider

Post by buckyswider »

seems to be a few substantial differences in the architecture, but that's only from what I gather comparing the two front panels. Did you try to re-create that JP-08 patch above on the S8?? I imagine it will take some bit of finesse...
rubez

Post by rubez »

still not listened to the JP08 patches yet, but bit busy (getting new car :D )

but this should help with the front panel differences. found them courtesy of rsaintjohn.

https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... 2ba2650d4/
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

I have all the JP-08 patch parameters as TXT files, so if you want, you can simply enter the same values in the S-8 and get the same sounds (the S-8 shows the parameter values in the display, so you can match them quite easily). It takes some time (a couple of minutes per patch), but is a pretty straightforward process.
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

Don't forget of course that for the System 8 included plugins (Jupiter 8, Juno 106), there are later banks (G, H... I forget....) that are pretty exact recreations of the original instruments' factory presets, if you're looking for that.

I'm not sure whether the other plugouts on the content store follow the same approach.