What are the new Roland covers made out of?

Forum for the JD-XA.
Tarkov72

What are the new Roland covers made out of?

Post by Tarkov72 »

They look really nice and give a totally new look the JD-XA. I'm curious if anyone knows what they're made out from?
mimoid

Re: What are the new Roland covers made out of?

Post by mimoid »

If you are referring to the original Roland overlays, they are made of thin sheets of plastic. I don't know what sort of plastic, but they are pretty sturdy, a little bit flexible, kind of semi-matt in appearance and with printing in white and silver. Both the material and the printing is first class, exactly like on the synth itself.

I don't know if you are only interested in finding out the material or if you want to know what they are like to attach and use, so here we go.

The overlays come as separate pieces, one for each main area of the synth. The LCD screen is also covered with a tiny insert of clear plastic which becomes completely invisible when in place.

The overlays are attached to the synth with four tiny adhesive dots in the corners (you will have to peel of protective pieces of paper to expose the adhesive). The bond is pretty strong, so make sure to align them correctly. If you get them ever so slightly wrong (like half a millimeter or so), you should be able to carefully jiggle them in place before the adhesive bites down. You will need to remove the sliders caps before attaching the overlays, but they come off quite easy without using any tools. They are also easy to put back on.

When attached, the sheets look like they are part of the synth. If you tap them with your fingers, especially in the middle, you can feel that they are not completely glued down, but this is not visible and it doesn't bother me. Some people have wondered if dirt and dust would get under the overlays, since they are only attached in the corners - well, if it is the case, I certainly cannot see it.

I have both my JD-XA and my JD-Xi covered with these overlays, they make the synths look a whole lot more professional and much more easy to use. The difference in appearance (particularly with the JD-Xi) is startling.
humax

Post by humax »

Tarkov72 wrote:... what they're made out from?
That is either LEXAN™ (polycarbonate) or polyester.
These both are usually used for making instrument front/control panels for instance car instrument clusters. Lexan is way durable material in terms of scratch resistance ability however it's prone to brake if being folded a few times. So polyester would be more preferable plastic for making overlays which have a membrane keyboard/keypad since it handles flexing action extremely well. There are many companies offering instrument printing/cutting services out there.
Tarkov72

Post by Tarkov72 »

Thanks for the detailed replies! These sound like really high quality overlays and a pretty much complete solution (ie not obviously an overlay once applied) to the glossy panel.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

The JD XA has to be different. What, you get overlays because they messed up?

That is why it is going to be remembered. My goodness it's a mad and brilliant synth.
The Expanding Man

Post by The Expanding Man »

Are we talking about the Synthgraphics overlay here, or are there other options for overlays for the JD-XA?
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

The free Roland overlays are great. I wanted the Synthgraphics white ones but they never surfaced.
TornadoTed

Post by TornadoTed »

I was hoping to get a white Synth Graphics too and probably still would if they ever became available but I am very happy with the Roland one, it transforms it completely.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

The Expanding Man wrote:Are we talking about the Synthgraphics overlay here, or are there other options for overlays for the JD-XA?
I was talking about the free Roland original ones. For me it was a matter of makong the surface less prone to dust and fingerprint issues and to make the texts readable. The overlays offer a complete transformation, making the synth look more like the top end professional music instrument it actually is.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

I agree! I love the new overlays on mine. So much easier to read and less dust/fingerprints!