MX-1 Aira USB ports not processing MIDI note messages

Forum for Aira
KDub

MX-1 Aira USB ports not processing MIDI note messages

Post by KDub »

Am I correct in assuming that a MIDI controller/sequencer plugged into MIDI Din is only able to send MIDI clock to Aira devices plugged into the Aira-specific USB hub? Does the MX-1 relay any other incoming messages to those ports from Din? Currently I run additional MIDI Din from the controller to the TR-8 and System-1m as a workaround, or is this the intended configuration?
KDub

Re: MX-1 Aira USB ports not processing MIDI note messages

Post by KDub »

Nevermind I don't know how I glazed past that in the MIDI implementation chart. I guess I confused myself by setting the Din out to thru. No note data processed/relayed other than at the Din out when set to Thru. RTFM
Peter Heard

Post by Peter Heard »

I couldnt find a way to send midi data eg notes to the midi din in and then on to the usb ports...did you find a way to do this?
rcmusic35

Post by rcmusic35 »

unfortunately, this is not implemented.....Let's hope Roland will listen and make an update.....
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Yup, this is something I was hoping for too!
darenager

Post by darenager »

I can't understand the decision to allow clock sync from the din midi in to pass thru USB but no other types of midi data, it must be actively filtering out all other data?! I sent a message to Roland support asking for this to be fixed, as it makes using the MX-1 with boutiques or aira being sequenced externally a real pain. I do not use or have any interest in using a DAW so to sequence my boutiques I will have to buy a midi thru box, and extra midi cables, when really the USB should be able to perfom this simple task.

I was actually planning on buying another 2 MX-1 for my other boutiques and aira gear, but for now I am holding off until I get a reply from Roland.

I would suggest that if this omission bothers you contact Roland support as they may not think it is important to users, and the more people adk the more likely they will fix it.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

Sorry, I don't get it. Is this related to the regular 5-pin MIDI ports? Because if you are using USB, all the MIDI data coming into the MX-1 through the computer USB port is relayed nicely through the four AIRA-Link USB ports. You can then just connect other, non-Aira synths to the Aira units through the soft thru ports and have them receiving the MIDI information. I have a TR-8, TB-3, JD-XA and a JD-Xi connected to the Aira-Link USB ports and I am sequencing them from Cubase without problems. Or am I misunderstanding something?
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Yes, what I think we are talking about is the ability to do this without a DAW or computer, but wanting the AIRA Links to communicate MIDI between each other. This seems to be a huge omission! I am loving my JD-Xi's ability to work with the AIRA LINK and it's interactive chord feature but I'd like that feature to work across to the TB-3 and the System-1, both plugged into AIRA LINK. If I connect all of these via MIDI it works just fine. But then I have to provide audio via the audio inputs or another mixer, negating the need for the MX-1 in the first place since all units take USB MIDI precedence over DIN MIDI connections per design.

I plan to send support a note about this as well, seems like it would be a software fix.
darenager

Post by darenager »

Yes 5 pin din midi is where the problem is, I am not using a PC and I do not want to use a PC.

So lets say I have a hardware midi sequencer connected to the MX-1 5 pin din midi in, the MX-1 can sync to the hardware sequencer, so can any aira or boutique synths connected to the aira link USB ports, BUT all other midi data sent from the hardware sequencer is not routed to the aira link ports, only sync, so if I want to sequence them from the hardware sequencer I have to add 4 midi cables and a midi thru box.

The thing about it is that the MX-1 must be filtering all other midi data from the 5 pin din, which means that it is a firmware decision, at the very least it should be a user option to decide if you want to block all except sync being passed thru.

In a hardware only setup like mine, it makes the MX-1 almost useless as a midi device.

I have 2 JX03, 2 JU08, 1 JU06, 1 VP03, 1 TR09, 2 TB03, Scooper, Bitrazer, Demora, Torcido, SBX1, MX1.

So I was going to add another 2 MX1 to allow me to have everything connected, but this inability to route midi has put my plans on hold until I hear back from Roland. Had I know all of this prior to purchase then I would not have bought most of this stuff, because without a DAW it can't be sequenced without adding a thru box and more cables, which is defeating the object of a hardware setup using aira link.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

By default, i remember reading, on the MX-1 MIDI Thru is turned on. I checked mine a while back when I throught that was the setting I wanted and it was indeed ON. I'm about to head down to my studio and turn it off, then check to see if I can get it to transmit/recieve midi from my System-1 to the JD-Xi. I know that I probably have to set the System-1 to the same midi channel as the part I'm playing on the JD-Xi (channel 2 in this case). I'll let you know what happens.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Okay, so that DID NOT WORK at all. It was an idea, though.

But in the process I did decide to see what would happen if I connected a MIDI (DIN) cable out of the JD-Xi to the MIDI (DIN) in on the system-1. It worked on whichever channel I had it programmed and would do whatever the sequence I had programmed on the JD-Xi would so along with the interactive chord feature. But it just follows not independent. If I start an arpeggio on the Sys1, it doesn't follow the IC changes from the JD-XI, it just changes what ever the Sys-1 was playing and replaces it with whatever the JD-xi is playing.

MIDI is hard! ha ha
darenager

Post by darenager »

I just heard back from Roland UK (nice quick response) and they are going to look into it, so if you are in the US, Canada, Europe, Asia or elsewhere might be worth contacting Roland support for your country and requesting that midi notes and control data are sent out of the Aira USB from midi din input.

The guy who replied to me agreed that midi notes and any other data than clock sync were not currently passed to the Aira ports, and agreed that this feature should be implemented and that he would pass this on to the Aira team.

Well, thanks Roland UK for fast reply and looking into the issue, my fingers are crossed!

While on the subject of MX-1 I'd like to see accessories for the following:
Power/USB midi splitters for Boutiques like a Y cable
SPDIF analog input converter
PC USB analog input converter
A Aira link USB audio input device, to convert Aira USB input to stereo input for use with non-aira gear.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

That's great! I will contact US support to request the same! Now that I've sold the JD-Xi (JD-XA on the way) I'll still need that USB MIDI on AIRA LINK working for that one.

I bought my SPIDF Analog to Digital co-axial converter from Monoprice.com for a great price. Works great. I'm using my Teenage Engineering OP-1 in the digital input on the MX-1.
darenager

Post by darenager »

@flyingace - are you a member of the Operator1 forum? I am my user name is same as here, if you are not it is a great community and well worth joining https://operator-1.com
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Yes I am! I'm flyingace71 there! I'm also a monthly subscriber to @dustmason's new op1.fun site. Great little treasure trove of sounds and he has done such an excellent job that I gave him $3/mo. to support him!

I'll look for you over there! :)