Anybody else copying from other Synths.

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
runningman67

Anybody else copying from other Synths.

Post by runningman67 »

I sold my second Waldorf Blofeld. Why? because I could copy my favourite sounds onto my System 8. They sound even better on the S8. Neocrest, Saworgy etc.

Anybody else copying from other synths.
mimoid

Re: Anybody else copying from other Synths.

Post by mimoid »

Yes, it's a good way to learn what you can and cannot do with a certain synth. I tried to copy some of my favorite patches from the JD-XA to the System-8, but failed miserably, mainly because of the lack of additional LFO's. On the other hand, I managed some pretty decent reproductions of some cool Diva patches to the JD-XA.
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

Agree with Mimoid. Copying sounds is a good way to learn to know your instruments.
On the moment I try to make some reproductions of old patches into my newer gear.
I have translated some CS6x and PLG150-AN sounds into my JP-80, System-8 and Deepmind-12, or at least I tried to.

I have some nice results already, but the funny thing is that in some cases the old gear wins over the new gear. It's sometimes nothing more than a distinct 'feature' in the sound that makes me prefer the old one.

On the other hand, it is sometimes difficult to be neutral. The patches I am copying now are use in old songs I want to re-record and it's difficult to distinguish if it sound better or it's just that I miss the sound I associate with that particular song.
It's an interesting process anyway.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Great learning curve.
The XA and S8 are brilliant tools for synthesis.
Figment-Shape

Post by Figment-Shape »

I have only tried this with one patch. Found out it sounded "off" only because of the difference in scale between them? I mostly like to try and make new sounds whenever I can. So far the SYS-8 oscillators sound better than I thought!
cello

Post by cello »

It's a fab exercise - I often copy over sounds to other platforms. The only ones I can't copy are the Fantom G - it has such unique synth parameters, none of my others can replicate sounds even although the common settings are exactly the same. And of course there's absolutely no point in trying to replicate the V-Synth on anything else - simply can't be done!
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

I do sound programming more than I do actual songs or music ... it's what give me pleasure, it's sort of a meditative process for me.

One of my favorite things is calling up some preset on some synthesizer, and attempting to duplicate it on another. It's truly amazing how close yo can get with something like a JD-XA .. not sure about the System-8 yet.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

zombietactics wrote:I do sound programming more than I do actual songs or music ... it's what give me pleasure, it's sort of a meditative process for me.

One of my favorite things is calling up some preset on some synthesizer, and attempting to duplicate it on another. It's truly amazing how close yo can get with something like a JD-XA .. not sure about the System-8 yet.
The S-8 has only one LFO, which will make some of the more intricate programs impossible to recreate, for instance with a slow tempo-synced triangle LFO modulating the cutoff, and a fast free-running random LFO gently modulating the pitch for a subtle, humanized out-of-tune/wavering effect (something I often use in the JD-XA).
macdev

Post by macdev »

Well, I spent some time trying to mimic some D50 sounds and it's just not happening. The D50 not only has an extra point on their envelopes, not to mention the use of time. Still, I tried mimicking "Shimmering Pad" and it was easy to replicate the oscillator and LFO, but the timbre of the sound still eludes me.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Might not be perfect but it may actually sound better. That's not a bad result.
analoguesque

Post by analoguesque »

macdev wrote:Well, I spent some time trying to mimic some D50 sounds and it's just not happening. The D50 not only has an extra point on their envelopes, not to mention the use of time. Still, I tried mimicking "Shimmering Pad" and it was easy to replicate the oscillator and LFO, but the timbre of the sound still eludes me.
Using a digital synth that emulates analog synths, to emulate a digital synth. That is the best thing I've read all day :).

It can be very difficult to mimic digital synths using "analog" technology, especially if samples are involved because there are a lot more overtones. But it is definitely fun to try though. I bought a bunch of sounds for my JP-08 and want to convert those, but the thought of manually trying to recreate them on the S8 .... whew! I was hoping there would be an easy automated conversion because they are very similar but II have seen nothing yet. I did convert a few of them to my Studiologic Sledge II, but that was before I got my System 8.

Ian
http://analoguesque.x10host.com/Roland-System-8/
macdev

Post by macdev »

The premise was two-fold: the LFO and the timbre of the sound. The thing is, I got REAL close with the timbre, but it wasn't possible because of the use of time in the envelope. D/A/D aside, you can still get the vibe of what you're shooting for, but in this case it wasn't working.

So, it was something to try. I'll never try it again. I have D50 Librarian and apart from the D50 getting stuck for a few seconds once in a while, it's the best way to edit patches on the D50.
Acidizer

Post by Acidizer »

anyone know any potential decent software VSTs to copy from? one that would translate well over to the system-8? i assume if you hover over the knob/slider on the VST, the value will pop up.

i was thinking TAL-UNO-X, but then remembered i would need to implement parameter correspondence table, and that is a step too far for me (at the moment) would like to keep things simple for now, and use the S8 engine (WYSIWYG)

looking for pad sounds mostly.

i know the JDXA is more of a pad machine (which i had) but i just like the S8 sound way better. got that vintage feel to it.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I have been copying/programming my favorite Juno-106 patches into the System-8. I have been using an old Juno patch editor to visually see the settings on the Juno-106 and using the sound of my old Juno as a reference as I dial in the sounds into my System-8. It is Fun!
spottingjonah

Post by spottingjonah »

This is good info here... but has anyone done this between the JP-80 and the S8 and done A/B comparisons? Would love to know how that worked out, especially using the JP-80 filter that was supposedly modeled after the Jupiter 8 (I think filter 2 if I'm not mistaken).

When I played an S8 there were some really cool patches that I would love to have on the JP-80, but didn't have time to do it at the time.