2.1 (or 2.5, or 3.0) Update Wish List!

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
stevel

2.1 (or 2.5, or 3.0) Update Wish List!

Post by stevel »

Ok, it was so nice of Roland to give us the 2.0 update.

I imagine there might be some minor bug fixes and tweaks and a version 2.1 or so, but nothing as major as 2.0.

However, I wasn't holding my breath for 2.0 and while I will stay I'm not going to hold my breath for 3.0, 2.0 actually happened, so there's hope.

My main requests would be:

1. Ability to turn MFX on and off using the Pads - one per part. There's no other practical way to do it as the S1/S2 and Assign Knobs only work on the currently playing Part (which is kind of the excuse for using TFX instead). I wouldn't mind it being assignable just like TFX, but the pads would be a nice solution to do them individually - "effect mute" on each part essentially.

2. Drawbar control of the Tonewheel Organ assignable to the 6 knobs. I realize there are 9 drawbars but hey, 6 would be better than none!

Another solution would be to use the Pads 1-9 for each of the Drawbars to select it, then turn a knob to adjust it. Not as elegant as the solution above, and kind of just duplicates what you can do on the screen, but at least you wouldn't have to be on the screen to do it!

3. An Amp Sim effect on the IFX for Audio Input. Hello, if I plug a guitar in to record using the FA as my audio interface, I need an amp sim onboard if I don't have one in my DAW VSTs or outboard. I guess they figure most people use an outboard one and plug into that before going into the FA.

The Amp Sim effect is an MFX - so I guess it's maybe useful of you want to make some sound sound like it's coming through an amp, or, if the guitar patches are "raw" without it and you need it to make them more convincing (why not just sample the PCM through and amp...).

But not having it on the Audio Input stream is goofy. I can understand not having any kind of pre for a mic since it's not really necessary for triggering the vocoder effect.

I'd love to be able to just plug a cable out from my effects pedalboard (with no kind of amp sim) directly into the FA and combine its signal with what's coming out of the FA - either for recording or live playing where I wasn't sending it to a sound man and independent control was needed over the Guitar and Synth signals.

I suppose that's probably a very nich-y request, but it's kind of dumb to have an amp sim effect, but not make it available on the audio input section!
Skijumptoes

Re: 2.1 (or 2.5, or 3.0) Update Wish List!

Post by Skijumptoes »

Would love to see the above.

But two big improvements for me would be:-

1. Single samples - spread across the keyboard (probably never will happen, but you can hope!).

2. Ability to Zoom out (Horizontally) on the sequencer timeline. (Wide view mode etc.)

And some other less important additions which i'd like:-

3. More pad modes, i.e:-
a. Love the MFX idea above, so definitely that
b. Custom arp (Where the 16 pads represents arp steps)
c. Song position markers

4. And as it's probably easy to implement, a 'random' SN-S menu option, where it will 'throw a dice' and randomly create SN-S patches, i think that could be great fun and quite unique compared to other workstations out there.

5. Volume control on the Rhythm/drum pattern screen.
RoFa08

Post by RoFa08 »

My wish list:

1. real SYNC function in Supernatural Synth, like in the D-BEAM SOLO SYNTH

2. VIBRATO/CHORUS effect in Tonewheel Organ
stevel

Post by stevel »

Skijumptoes wrote: b. Custom arp (Where the 16 pads represents arp steps)
OOH - or a Step Sequencer - where each of the Pads turned on/of one of the 16th notes of a rhythmic step sequence.

THAT would be very cool!
Gatorjohn

Post by Gatorjohn »

2. Drawbar control of the Tonewheel Organ assignable to the 6 knobs. I realize there are 9 drawbars but hey, 6 would be better than none!

This is possible, watch here:

https://youtu.be/0uHrQtf95s0
stevel

Post by stevel »

Gatorjohn wrote:2. Drawbar control of the Tonewheel Organ assignable to the 6 knobs. I realize there are 9 drawbars but hey, 6 would be better than none!

This is possible, watch here:

https://youtu.be/0uHrQtf95s0
Unfortunately, not only is YT stalling for me, but the volume on this is so low I can't hear him.

I think what he's doing is "morphing" between presets using the Assign Knobs to turn up or down the volume on the Leslie Cab maybe?

Whatever it is, it's pretty involved. Simply being able to have "DB1" - "DB9" as options in the Assign knob parameter options would be a cinch.
petroni

Post by petroni »

1. Solve the "bug" in sequencer that make it return to first bar whenever you do any kind of track editing (not microscope).

2. Option to save SONGs in FAVORITES which was possible in fantom series. This would save a lot of time when playing live with several sequenced songs/samples stored in non consecutive / very far user memory positions.
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

Possibility to load Roland PlugOuts.
Rupertt

Post by Rupertt »

1. MIxer for the Samples
2. LOF/Effect clock sync without starting the sequencer
scramble

Post by scramble »

Since the FA series came out there has been a great many suggestions made for improvements and new features on this forum and elsewhere, so I'm really glad that Roland made one of the improvements I thought was really desirable, which was for the pad mode to be saved with the studio set.

One other thing I'd like to see is the ability to set the FA to start up with the last patch that was on. This is not just handy in the studio, it's really important in a live situation if your FA accidentally gets switched off or unplugged. The FA is brilliant in that it has a super-quick startup time (it's vastly better than the Krome in this respect, which takes forever to startup), but that's defeated somewhat if you've then got to scroll through hundreds of patches to find where you were.

This would hopefully not require much of a change in the OS. The thing to remember is that a keyboard OS is not like Windows or Mac OSs. As others more knowledgable about keyboard software design than me have pointed on these forums, you've only got a small space for the OS, the current OS is using pretty much all of what is possible in that space, and it generally isn't possible to make larger changes.
Rupertt wrote:1. MIxer for the Samples
What do you mean by a mixer? You've already got the ability to change the volume of the samples.
AnalogHero

Post by AnalogHero »

My whishes would be:

1. Sample pitch adjust
2. Sample effects (one mfx atleast)
3. Maybe a bit more mfx flexibility ( if your song uses only 8 channels, use the remaining mfx resources)
4. Save tfx with song or SS
Gatorjohn

Post by Gatorjohn »

The FA is brilliant in that it has a super-quick startup time (it's vastly better than the Krome in this respect, which takes forever to startup), but that's defeated somewhat if you've then got to scroll through hundreds of patches to find where you were.

Why would you scroll? Save as a fav and you're there in a couple of buttons!
scramble

Post by scramble »

I don't find Favorites very intuitive to use, especially in a panic situation, and if you've got loads of different sets and different songs then you can't have all those in Favorites.

However, I think I will use Favorites to allow me to go to the start of a set of songs, then it will quicker to scroll through to the one you were on.

(At least the FA has a better AC adapter fit than the Krome so an accidental unplugging is less likely with the FA.)
scramble

Post by scramble »

The Pad Mode saved with the Studio Set is a great addition, so the following may seem a bit churlish... but there is still an annoying limitation here in that you still can't save the Song (with its associated pads/samples) with the Studio Set.

You may say that you just need to set up all your samples before a gig, save them as a Song, and make sure the right Song is loaded before you start the gig. This is true, but that's a bit of a pain if you have different and changing setlists that require the regular re-arranging of samples, because there's no way of moving a sample from one pad to another. All you can do is re-import the .wav from the SD card onto the new pad, but this is time-consuming, and it's not always easy to tell which is the right .wav if you have a lot of similarly named .wavs, and you have changed the name of the sample on the pad to something different to the name of the .wav on the card.

And then you have to re-do all of the settings associated with the sample on that new pad. So that's quite time-consuming. Also, you may end up forgetting to change the Song before the gig starts, which wouldn't be an issue if the Song was saved with the Studio Set.

So I'd like to see both the Song saved with the Studio Set (the more that is saved with the Studio Set the better), and also it'd be great if you could quickly move or copy a sample (including its settings) from one pad to another.
AnalogHero

Post by AnalogHero »

scramble wrote:This is true, but that's a bit of a pain if you have different and changing setlists that require the regular re-arranging of samples, because there's no way of moving a sample from one pad to another. All you can do is re-import the .wav from the SD card onto the new pad, but this is time-consuming, and it's not always easy to tell which is the right .wav if you have a lot of similarly named .wavs, and you have changed the name of the sample on the pad to something different to the name of the .wav on the card.
Hi,
You can copy or move samples with the clipboard button. Its around p.80 in the reference manual.