Roland Cloud service outage ...

Forum to discuss all aspects of Roland's Cloud
zombietactics

Roland Cloud service outage ...

Post by zombietactics »

...left many users unable to use VSTs recently.

NOT. GOOD.
jerry_merry

Re: Roland Cloud service outage ...

Post by jerry_merry »

What outage?
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Example here:-

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... st12735532

Their problem is this isn't even a cloud service, i.e. it's probably relying on a single server location to keep the service running, Roland won't pay for decent redundancy, just as they haven't invested in a true DRM system which ensures users can use their paid for content without being at the mercy of Roland's servers within a 24 hr period.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Calm down guys. The service is still in BETA.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Does anyone have any idea of when Roland Cloud will leave the Beta phase.
The way Roland is rolling this out is leaving allot really vague?
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Devnor wrote:Calm down guys. The service is still in BETA.
What is the 'service' though? This whole 'cloud' idea, so far, is just a monthly fee for some plugins.

There is no cloud platform here that they're trialling, there's no DRM system that they're trialling, seems like redundancy isn't something they're willing to invest in either, and because of their current crude system it will be ripped apart by hackers (Worse, will be supported by legit users who need uptime) before it even leaves Beta.

I'd love to see this succeed, but they're racing towards getting money through the door before actually putting the infrastructure in, and it will bite them big time - In fact, the current suite of plugins have been immediately devalued as they've found their way into the dark depths of the internet, and that's a real shame as they should've been locked down as jewels in the Roland crown.

I'll be honest, it's really frustrating as a long time Roland customer, as the chance of this service being either dumped or quietly left to rot increases by the month. Whereas it should be a really affordable option for someone wanting a great suite of plugs and other services, such as patch sharing/management etc. But they're building on quicksand.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

I went to Roland Cloud and I did not see the Beta under the Roland Cloud logo.
I think that means Roland Cloud is out of Beta stage????
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

richardbates1 wrote:I went to Roland Cloud and I did not see the Beta under the Roland Cloud logo.
I think that means Roland Cloud is out of Beta stage????
The plugins themselves are not in beta (although there are some issues that are still being worked on, like offline authorization problems). Regarding the service, there is still just one subscription level, called Early Access Beta. Exactly what this means is quite unclear. Details like whether or not you can you keep a plugin of your choice after one year, or how the other two subscription levels will differ from the early beta are still being worked out at Roland.
jerry_merry

Post by jerry_merry »

Such a shame. The cloud has been hacked - the Roland cloud emulator (allegedly) does not need the internet to function. Its not often that hackers improve on the original product - normally they just steal it.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

I remember MANY years ago legit users of Cubase using hacked versions as when all the security mechanisms were removed/disabled it actually had better performance and more reliable lol. A Local education facility to me even switched to the hacked versions across their rooms, as i remember a particular bug that would crash Cubase when you went to the piano roll editor costing them valuable time, which the hackers fixed!!.

In my opinion Roland (Cloud) need to have a big sit down and review what they're doing, relay that to (potential) customers, and seek external help from experts who can secure their platform. i.e. the likes of Lennar Digital, or piggy back some of the amazon/google services out there with readymade DRM/Cloud platforms.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I am a long time Roland user but I am not really a fan of the cloud idea. To be fair it is probably not marketed towards someone like me (more into hardware and even iOS) though I have only seen a little advertisement on Roland's Facebook. Is this whole cloud idea because Roland fears pirating? I wish Roland would create synthesizer apps for iOS like Korg and Arturia.
jerry_merry

Post by jerry_merry »

I agree. I think the idea to go to cloud was because all the phase 1 plugouts (SH-101, SH-2, Promars, System 100) were all hacked. (The hackers at the time slated Rolands protection system).

Then Roland release the cloud and use equally pissy protection. And here we are again. Hacked to bits and all over the internet.

I asked Roland Cloud facebook page what they thought of the Hacking. They stated the hacks had a Trojan and told me to enjoy the warez. Implying I was using hacked software. I am a fully paid up Roland Cloud Member. Way to treat your paying customers Jeremy Soule.

The whole cloud needs to rethink its position.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Wow that response is shocking!!

I've seen a lot of arrogance from those representing Roland Cloud on social media, but that tops it all.

Firstly, It's not really smart claiming warez groups are spreading Trojans to it's 'users', that only adds more motivation for those groups, those kind of claims are the biggest way of putting a target on your back.

Secondly, The answer is investing in their technology correctly that protects both them and their users, if the security has already been dismantled, how long before users have their payment/personal details leaked?

In fact, would they even notice and/or disclose if a breach occurred?
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

The Roland people are correct - a great way to get viruses is to use hacked software you didn't pay for i.e. warez. That's not arrogance, that is FACT. Cracked plugins can also create unstability in your DAW. The reality is those that use & promote hacked software just make things for difficult for users that paid for their software via complicated authorizations and iLoks.

I'm interested in the new subscription model because it allows me to pay for the time I use the plugins and not pay for them when I'm not using the plugins. It's not for everyone. I compose mainly on hardware (Kronos, Jupiter 80, Moog Voyager) and only use synth plugins infrequently. I paid $1000 for Komplete 10 Ultimate. I have not used that suite in 8 months.

Hacking a plugin is completely different that hacking a corporate computer system. But if you are that worried someone might hack Roland, or any other computer system to steal your identity, you might just consider cutting up your cards and start paying cash.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

No, the Roland 'people' are not correct in painting it's customers as 'warez' users when the subject is bought up, that's totally the wrong way to deal with it. That's the issue here, if you think that's a smart comment then enjoy your one-way ticket to crapsville under this arrogance. It's FACT also that 'legit' software create instability and spying tools that sit dormant on your system too. There's people who pay for software yet run the 'hacked' versions for performance, security and standalone operatability reasons too.

Super pleased that the model works for you, and i'd love to use it also, and incorporate into my projects.

However, this will 'Roland Cloud' idea will be dead as a dodo within 12-18 months, there isn't the infrastructure in place, but most importantly they've now allowed their crown jewels to leak out to the very users they wanted to attract (i.e. those that haven't got the money to put into Komplete etc.) - and that will kill potential income now these users have the option of freeloading them.

I'm not going to embed these plugs into my projects to find out within 18 months that i cannot load them anymore as they will no longer authenticate. That's where this is headed, and this blinkered arrogance will take them there quick too. This whole 'cloud' concept, it's just a buzz word - there's no substance behind it. I've worked in this industry long enough for that to ring alarm bells from day one, i've been through it multiple times and it eventually kicks you square in the painful parts.

If you're happy to bounce all plugs to audio stems and remove those plugs before saving projects - great, you're sorted. But heed this warning if you're storing the plugins inline within projects and those projects are crucial to you in future, particularly if working on a professional basis. You can't even hold them on a machine which is standalone from the internet, or deliberately held in OS/Revision stasis, like many studios setup.

It would've been wonderful to have this legendary assortment of instruments, low monthly fee, start and stop as you choose - brilliant, smart idea, good entry point for majority of people.

But they've killed it dead for me, with huge mis-information, casual promises, lame architecture, and now further arrogance. And it really annoys me - just sell us the plugins and be done with it, unless they've got a real cloud platform hiding away there yet to be revealed.