plug out (in) additions.

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
Figment-Shape

plug out (in) additions.

Post by Figment-Shape »

Is there really no other way to add a synth to slot 3 without a DAW? My current DAW is old, and dose not support new VST synths? I was really thinking about sh 101 or system 100, but If I spent the cash on one of these, I have no way to get it onto the system 8? There must be another way? Please help, thanks!
rsaintjohn

Re: plug out (in) additions.

Post by rsaintjohn »

Figment-Shape wrote:Is there really no other way to add a synth to slot 3 without a DAW? My current DAW is old, and dose not support new VST synths? I was really thinking about sh 101 or system 100, but If I spent the cash on one of these, I have no way to get it onto the system 8? There must be another way? Please help, thanks!
There really is no other way at this time. The only possible exception is the PROMARS. For some reason, on my Mac I got a standalone version of that plug-out at well, and seem to be able to use it to plug-out to the System-8. I don't really use DAWs for anything more than mixing and finishing, so I just use GarageBand for my plug-outs. I take it you're on Windows? Someone else here may have a suggestion of an alternative. I seem to remember some non-DAW VST host application for Windows or Linux, but it's been awhile and I have no idea if they'll work with the Roland plug-outs.
Figment-Shape

Post by Figment-Shape »

Maybe I can find someone with a DAW or garage band I could use? Still have not decided witch one I want to plug in, I'm just sad I have an empty slot on the panel. Roland just released the SH101 boutique, I don't feel I need it, and don't like how tiny they are, but an SH101 with polyphony sounds fun! They should update the plugout model to feature poly if someone wants it? The SYS-8 is not a cheap synth! The cot of updating, or getting a new DAW is very high just so i can install one vst.

Thanks! I will keep looking!
Manic

Post by Manic »

You can use any demo version of a DAW to insert your plug-out to the System-8! So just download the demo of FL Studio or something and you're set ;)
pstnotpd

Post by pstnotpd »

You can download the steinberg vst3plugintesthost. This will allow you to load any plugout to system8 (and system1 for that matter). I've now got the system100 plugout in slot3 but did promars as well. I also used it for sh101 and promars on the system1 I previously owned.

Make sure you update to the latest version as I've had some connectivity issues with w10 when using older versions.

It's part of the VST 3 sdk which you can get over here

EDIT: I think this is window only though. You seem to be on apple.....
EDIT2: Mistake, there's one for apple too
Figment-Shape

Post by Figment-Shape »

Thanks! I use windows 7, I will give it a try when I can and report back! I never thought of using a trial version of software to plug in the synth!
pstnotpd

Post by pstnotpd »

Figment-Shape wrote:Thanks! I use windows 7, I will give it a try when I can and report back! I never thought of using a trial version of software to plug in the synth!
I don't think it's considered trail. It's a testing platform for the actual SDK itself. Before upgrading to w10 I used it through w7 and it worked fine for plug out duties.
GilgaFrank

Post by GilgaFrank »

There's always Reaper.

http://reaper.fm/
Morganix

Plug-Out from Steinberg VST3PluginTestHost

Post by Morganix »

pstnotpd wrote:You can download the steinberg vst3plugintesthost. This will allow you to load any plugout to system8 (and system1 for that matter). I've now got the system100 plugout in slot3 but did promars as well. I also used it for sh101 and promars on the system1 I previously owned.

Make sure you update to the latest version as I've had some connectivity issues with w10 when using older versions.

It's part of the VST 3 sdk which you can get over here
Super idea! I tried to plug-out SH-2 to my System 8 from Cubase 9 many times. But every time I clicked on SH-2's "setting", and tried to set the MIDI channels, the MIDI input-slot only said "MIDI-CTRL Input 2-SYSTEM-8 CTRL (inactive)". I have not figured out why.

Now I installed the "VST3PluginTestHost_x64" from the SDK-kit, opened SH-2 in the VST Player window, and – voilà! – everything worked on the first try!