Roland D-50 Plugout on the Horizon?

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
Manic

Re: Roland D-50 Plugout on the Horizon?

Post by Manic »

andyr1960 wrote:
Manic wrote:I think this is pretty solid proof of the D50 coming as a plug-out for the S-8!
"Legendary Series" only relates to SH-101, System 100, ProMars & SH-2 for the System 1 that can be used in the System 8 - they're all analogue emulations, nothing to do with later digital synths. The D50 would be impractical to show-horn into the System 8, although a VST/AU would be feasible, but if it's not designed for the System 8 then what's the future of the Plug-Out format?

I'm hoping for an expansion on the System-100, maybe the System-700. The Sys 8's upgraded DSPs are capable of doing something like that.
I think you didn't open the image.. Read the rest ;)
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

Manic wrote:I think you didn't open the image.. Read the rest ;)
Intriguing conversation... A partially PCM based synthesizer inside the System-8? Hmm... Well, I know that the System-8 has 4 x 128 MB SD-RAM memory onboard - without any knowledge about the usage of those, (like whether or not they are volatile and so on), maybe some of it can be allocated to store the required waveforms? The plot thickens...
scottkahn

Post by scottkahn »

The chance of a D-50 plug-out is close to zero. The System-8 is an analog modeling box. The programming interface for the D-50 is completely different and does not map to the standard controls found on analog polysynths.

As someone else mentioned, other classic Roland ANALOG synths will become available, but not the digital-specific ones. I will say, though, that the D-50 plug-in from Roland Cloud sounds as good as any other versions Roland has made (I have both a V-Synth XT and D-550 for comparison). But I would never expect to find it inside the System-8. Also, the D-50 was up to 32-voices, with each part of a split/layer using 8 voices.
Tschury

Post by Tschury »

scottkahn wrote:The chance of a D-50 plug-out is close to zero. The System-8 is an analog modeling box. The programming interface for the D-50 is completely different and does not map to the standard controls found on analog polysynths. [...]
Which is not true, as the D-50 was finally nothing but a proto virtual analog synth that used "proto analog modeled" waveforms with subtractive synthesis, while the oscillators also could use very short sampled waveforms (and loopes waveforms) as oscillator source, but the filters only applied to the "proto analog modeled" waveforms and not to the short sampled waveforms. If you look at the PG-1000 programmer for the D-50, you will immediately realize that the System-8 user-interface could work as programming interface for a D-50 plug-out, with some additional functions via menu:

Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

It would be more advantageous to Roland to create a DCB platform to run Digital recreations )that have 4 partials) of say the D-50 and JD-800. Having owned a JD-800 and still have a D-50, the System-8 in my opinion does not have the correct layout or facilities to make it very useful as host for a D-50. I believe it would need to rely heavily on menu functions and that would be somewhat of a pain to edit. I have the System-8 and there is a little menu diving for the Jupiter-8 and Juno-106 and I would not want for than what they have.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

TBH, I think the plugout concept (and the System-8) is now more or less abandoned by Roland. I would not expect any more plugouts to become available - possibly with the JX-3P as the only exception, as it is already written. I hope I will be proven wrong, but any new plugins that will become available on the Roland Cloud will probably be just regular plugins, without plugout functionality.
Tschury

Post by Tschury »

Synthtron wrote:It would be more advantageous to Roland to create a DCB platform to run Digital recreations )that have 4 partials) of say the D-50 and JD-800. Having owned a JD-800 and still have a D-50, the System-8 in my opinion does not have the correct layout or facilities to make it very useful as host for a D-50. I believe it would need to rely heavily on menu functions and that would be somewhat of a pain to edit. I have the System-8 and there is a little menu diving for the Jupiter-8 and Juno-106 and I would not want for than what they have.
Yes the System-8 is not ideal concerning the layout, especially for the envelopes. Roland could translate the D-50 envelopes with the seperate Level and Time settings to the System-8's simple ADSR envelopes, with an internal makro-function. As in the JD-XA or Jupiter-80, the existence of several Partials (12 in case of the JD-XA, 30 in case of the Jupiter-80 and just 4 in case of the D-50) is not a big problem, as you just need a function via menu to choose one of the Partials for editing.

But Roland should release an innovative new digital synth instead of emulating their old synths, because I am fed up with all the old and boring subtractive synthesis BS ...and anyway I am not really a fan of the sound of analog synths. I am so bored by sawtooth waves and pulswaves going through filters...I prefer anything with FM or Physical Modeling or whatever which is not the boring analog subtractive BS.