5 stupid questions :P

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
HenrikErlandsson

5 stupid questions :P

Post by HenrikErlandsson »

Long time Roland fan, tried it in a store today. I'm thinking of buying this for jotting down ideas from a rhythm or chord sequence. I found it easy to use. These thoughts came to mind.

1. Split the keyboard and record 2 channels?
2. Can I transfer patches to/from card or PC?
3. Can I make a custom patch list (shortlist of my favorites to get to them faster)?
4. Can I bring my sequences into a PC sequencer?
5. Can effects (specifically delay and reverb) be set individually for each of the four tracks i.e. digital 1, digital 2, drum, analog?

(About the last point. When I added a third patch to the sequence, a lead with delay and reverb, the bass got the same delay. I tried dialing down the delay for the bass but I guess you need to hold down a key while doing it? Cos I couldn't figure it out in the short time I tried it.)
HenrikErlandsson

Re: 5 stupid questions :P

Found answers to most of my questions:

1. No.
2. Yes, to/from PC via USB (hold Enter or Shift+Enter at boot). This includes 8 extra banks x 26(?) patches.
3. Partial yes. You can create your own patches and put them in your own bank. Unconfirmed if you can tweak a built in sound and save it.
4. Partial yes, as in not so easy. I hope they don't mean they used the 80s DIN connectors. viewtopic.php?f=58&t=50280
5. Unconfirmed.

So I still need help with the last point 5, I really want to add delay to f.ex. a lead without getting a delay on the bass.
oli

Post by oli »

NO, YES, YES, YES, NO
HenrikErlandsson

Thanks Oli!

Crap, I messed up. I typed 'patch' under point 5. I don't mean to save reverb etc settings per patch, I meant what I typed in the () below point 5. I.e. when I'd laid down drums and bass and then added a lead and cranked up the delay, the bass got the same delay. The bass and lead were on digital 1 and digital 2.
oli

Post by oli »

Each instrument part has separate send levels for delay and reverb which can be adjusted, but the actual settings for delay and reverb are global.
HenrikErlandsson

Thx again Oli! :) Appreciate it.

Well all I'm wondering is if I can lay down a bassline on Digital 1, add a lead on Digital 2, and turn the Delay and/or Reverb knob up for the lead only.

I'm reading your answer as: you select delay and reverb type globally, but you can dial down (or up) the amount individually for Digital 1, Digital 2, Drums, and Analog. Is that correct?
oli

Post by oli »

Open the image below, it is from the okJDXiEditor and highlights all the Output Assignments and Send Levels.
Just play with all the settings to see how it all works.
Also check the drum kit partials, as each partial has a Output Assignment and Send Levels as well, this makes for some massive drum sounds.
JD-Xi_program_edit.jpg
JD-Xi_program_edit.jpg (223.91 KiB) Viewed 4283 times
HenrikErlandsson

Thx Oli I guess... but this is not a question about sound editing.

I just want to add delay and reverb on one Digital part while playing without getting the same delay and reverb on any other part. Possible?
oli

Post by oli »

It's all about effects routing! What you want can be done, just need to learn a bit more.
HenrikErlandsson

I have to route with a custom SysEx editor just to put delay on my lead and no delay on my bass?

I'm asking for when using it with your hands.

a) Record a bassline on Digital 1, done.

b) Select Digital 2, go hunting for a lead. Mm, sounds good. Let's dial up the reverb and delay. Mm, sweet!

c) Oh, wait. Hm. Now the bass has a delay and reverb!

d) OK, go back to Digital 1 with the bass, turn the knobs down then. Hm. Now I have nothing on the bass but nothing on the lead, either!

That kind of a thing.

So, confirmation whether the 4 parts have individual effects settings or not.
oli

Post by oli »

You can do it the hard way. Read page 10 of the parameter guide.
HenrikErlandsson

All right, so you can do it per part with menu diving on the unit itself. (Main reason to buy a synth with the mini keys is to fiddle in the sofa.)

Maybe a shortcut in 1.6... hehe.

Thanks again :)
oli

Post by oli »

If you want a real challenge, check out one of the big synths (FA-06 forum). MFX, TFX and IFX parameters to find out all the stuff thats missing from the JD-Xi.
hellwoodfire

Post by hellwoodfire »

5. Can effects (specifically delay and reverb) be set individually for each of the four tracks i.e. digital 1, digital 2, drum, analog?
YES:

You can control the delay and reverb send amount for each drum part (per key) as well as each synth part independently.

For example, if you want to tweak the delay on each parts:

For Drums:
1. Press Part select [Drums].
2. Press snare key.
3. Press [Effects On/Off] several times and turn off Effect1 and 2, then turn on Delay and Reverb.
4. Press [Menu].
5. Select "Tone Edit".
6. Cursor over to "OUTPUT - Dly Send Lev"
7. If it is set to zero, press [Value] and increase the number.
8. Now, it is possible to adjust the delay level by tweaking delay knob

For Synth Parts:
1. Press Part select [Digital 1 / 2 / Analog].
2. Press [Menu].
3. Select “Program Edit”.
4. Cursor over to MAIN – “Dly Send Lev”
5. Set as you would like.

It is also worth noting that you can choose to route Effect 1 through Effect 2 or directly to the output. In the Parameter Guide you will find a block diagram for the effects on page 8 and explanations of the editing options in each part’s section.
laura woodswalker

Post by laura woodswalker »

Following this because I'd like to be able to tweak stuff in Realtime (during performance). I had an Electribe EMX back in 2010 and I believe you could tweak each part. Damn...so sorry I sold that!!