JD 800 Boot problem

Everything else from Roland that doesn't fit elsewhere
Marino

JD 800 Boot problem

Post by Marino »

Hi,
I just bought a JD 800 with the usual problems, contacts, glue... but I want to solve my current problem first Hopefully someone can help me.
I replaced the battery, the device was turned off, but when I turned it back on he did not want to boot anymore. The screen is stuck on "initialize yes / no".
The only thing that's on is the screen, the rest does not work the lights are not burning. Someone has an idea how to solve this.

Thanks
Greetings Marino
Belgium
moshing17

Re: JD 800 Boot problem

Post by moshing17 »

Yes I too have encountered this problem. Had mine for a few years. I recently took took it apart for its every few yearly clean - something of which I done on serveral times in the past (rid red gunk of death, de-fluffing sliders etc.) then all put back to together no problems.

On this occasion though I replaced the battery, something I had not done since I bought it. Same thing Marino, switched on, 'intialized y/n' pops up, press y/n button - nothing.. Can't find anything regarding this anywhere.. completely at a lost now.. You had any luck with yours mate..? PLease can anyone shed light on this?
JimW

Post by JimW »

Same problem. Bought my JD-800 in 1991.
Installed new CR2032 battery after the screen starting showing my selected patch had been modified even though I made no modifications and would not respond to any keys from the B switch board containing the Exit, value slider, inc/yes,dec/no buttons. Also did not respond to the page and cursor keys.

After installing the new battery I get the following display:
Roland Synthesizer JD-800 with some highlighted scrolling indicating it is attempting to boot up
followed by: Initialize [Y/N]
Note: no LEDs are lit, the patch number indicator is not lit, and I have no memory cards or waveform cards.
The tone editor window is lit but is blank.

Note: After looking at the schematics from the downloaded service manual I find the Left Volume board simply directly connects (via ribbon cables) the B switch board to the main board.
I doubt re-seating the ribbon cables will help as the problem is likely on the main/motherboard itself
I verified with an ohm-meter the dec/no key/switch was making contact when pushed.
Also there was no response from the INT/CARD (internal / memory card) key/switch.

Would be nice if there was documentation describing the boot-up process and what IC's are involved at each step.
jerrybakermr

Post by jerrybakermr »

Marino wrote: 20:24, 2 September 2017 Hi,
I just bought a JD 800 with the usual problems, contacts, glue... but I want to solve my current problem first Hopefully someone can help me.
I replaced the battery, the device was turned off, logic board vs motherboard but when I turned it back on he did not want to boot anymore. The screen is stuck on "initialize yes / no".
The only thing that's on is the screen, the rest does not work the lights are not burning. Someone has an idea how to solve this.

Thanks
Greetings Marino
Belgium
I am also facing the same issue.
danclegg

Post by danclegg »

JimW wrote: 16:47, 3 August 2021 After installing the new battery I get the following display:
Roland Synthesizer JD-800 with some highlighted scrolling indicating it is attempting to boot up
followed by: Initialize [Y/N]
This just happened to me, no buttons were responding. But, I tried holding the Yes key down for a good 15 seconds solid, and the synth came back to life!
Just in case this helps someone searching the internet with the same problem...