Korg iM1

Forum for Apple iOS devices
Macska

Korg iM1

Post by Macska »

Has anyone else tried the iM1 yet? I got it yesterday and am really loving it. My sister got a Triton back in 2000 and that thing was my first exposure to electronic keyboards. Ever since then I've always had a loving place in my heart for Korg's ambient patches such as Universe, Animation, and God's Bathtub. I love the sound so much I had been tempted to buy a triton module for the past few years but always resisted. For $30 the iM1 is satisfying the desire excellently. I don't like the interface on the korg workstations so using my iPad and the A-88 is nice too.

Pretty nice way to get some old Korg sounds I'd say. Using it on an iPad 2 running the latest iOS 8.4 with no problems other than the limited polyphony compared to newer iPads.
Rodan

Re: Korg iM1

Post by Rodan »

I'm not specifically familiar with the M1 although I'm sure I'll recognize the sound. Thanks for posting. I've got to download and try this.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Macska wrote:Has anyone else tried the iM1 yet?
Not yet, but I'm interested, now doubly so after this thread.
Macska wrote:Using it on an iPad 2 running the latest iOS 8.4 with no problems other than the limited polyphony compared to newer iPads.
How are you finding iOS 8.4 in general (specifically on an iPad2)? MIne is still on iOS 6.1.

Do you use it for much MIDI stuff?
Macska

Post by Macska »

I was very nervous to update the iOS after reading about all of the problems people had with it slowing down their iPad 2. When I heard about the Korg iM1 I decided to do the update and if it rendered my iPad useless, I would just cave and order an Air 2.

I was on iOs 7.something before the update and quite honestly since the update my iPad 2 seems to run BETTER than it did before. Maybe Apple fixed the speed problems with the 8.4 update? The closing apps takes a little longer sometimes, but that's it. Safari used to crash on me a bunch in 7 and I haven't had a single crash since the update.

I don't run any external midi other than my A-88, integra editor, and Arturia Minilab through the camera connection kit and wna wireless, and I haven't tried using much interapp audio stuff other than audio copy and using synth apps with Cubasis same as I did before.

The interface on some things is slightly different. The music app of course, which was a main focus of the update for streaming content is different. And Safari is pretty different, but all feels familiar. I should say though that I only use my iPad for mobile work, jamming, and workstation style sketching of idea. If you use yours for important work you may want to do more research about 8.4 before diving in.

As an update for the iM1 - I've had it over a week now and it has become one of my favorite daily rituals to wake up and explore those sounds or create my own with the waveforms.
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

Oh Macska, I had no idea what I was missing. I can't get through all of these sounds. Each one is just so musical I start playing and loose track of time. I've collected a lot of the ipad music apps, but this one is my immediate favorite. Gotta go, Trpt & Sax is calling.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Rodan wrote:Oh Macska, I had no idea what I was missing. I can't get through all of these sounds. Each one is just so musical I start playing and loose track of time. I've collected a lot of the ipad music apps, but this one is my immediate favorite. Gotta go, Trpt & Sax is calling.
+1, The iM1 is my favorite iPAD synth so far.
IMHO far superior to all the other Synths I have like Sunrizer, Animoog, Alchemy, Addictive Synth, Akai Synthstation, Arturia's iMini, and even Korg's iPolySix and iMS-20.

Actually it is THE ONLY iPad based synth I use, and it complements nicely my integra-7 and MOXF6 and I just use it like a 3rd Synth. Very stable, stunning sounds.

I'm running it from an ALESIS iO-Dock MIDI IN/OUT connected to the UM-550 MIDI Patcher, where all my boards and controllers are connected. The main keyboard driving the iM1 is a Novation impulse-61, but I can use any of the 3 (MOXF, Impulse, A-Pro).

Very good !!
Cheers,
PauloF
Macska

Post by Macska »

2016 and I gotta say, after selling my whole studio and going mobile for a simple traveling lifestyle, the iM1 continues to amaze me every day. It's incredible the way the M1 can stand the test of time. It's no integra for sure, but with the right approach it has its own wonderful character that keeps it relevant.

When I layer it with other instruments, I don't mind at all that the sounds are "unrealistic" b cause they leave out the "istic" side and touch my ears as simple "unreal." Honestly I don't think I would have explored this app so much if I still had my other synths. Between this and Thor I am more than happy with my productions.

Rambling here but where else can I express how happy I am with this synth?!

Hope all my friends here at the rolandclan are doing well, I don't have any Roland gear anymore so I'm not active on the forums, but i still think it's the best forum I've ever participated in.
Macska

Post by Macska »

Additionally, get the app Music IO if you're an iOS musician. Get it now! It allows you to use your iPad via the charging USB cable as a plugin in your DAW with audio and midi. Because of this I use the iPad more than any soft synths.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Macska wrote:Additionally, get the app Music IO if you're an iOS musician. Get it now! It allows you to use your iPad via the charging USB cable as a plugin in your DAW with audio and midi. Because of this I use the iPad more than any soft synths.
This is an old post, but really need to give a try on Music IO !!
Rolandgr

Post by Rolandgr »

Let us know how it goes!