Roland D-50 Boutique - D-05 announced 9/09/17

Forum for boutique synths
iixorb

Roland D-50 Boutique - D-05 announced 9/09/17

Post by iixorb »

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/D05

Hope it has 16 note polyphony !

"Digital Circuit Behaviour" DCB.... Interesting development.
SoundReverend

Re: Roland D-50 Boutique - D-05

Post by SoundReverend »

Yes it does, says it on the Specs tab...

https://www.roland.com/global/products/ ... fications/
iixorb

Post by iixorb »

Good - it does apparently have 16 note polyphony. I'm in then ! My original two D-50's are both suffering from erratic keys and buttons so this new D-05 could be a good direct replacement ( would not have been interested if it was only 4 note polyphonic).

Good 20 min video on it here : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TjkFNrdOHMg comparing the original D-50's most famous presets on both a D-50 and a D-05...... Will this spawn a new breed of 'Digital Purists'??? !!!
CesarsoundOne

Re: Roland D-50 Boutique - D-05 announced 9/09/17

Post by CesarsoundOne »

Great news!!
marctronixx

PREORDERED

Post by marctronixx »

will go great with the SE02 and TR08
iixorb

Post by iixorb »

iixorb wrote:Good - it does apparently have 16 note polyphony. I'm in then !
Having lived with the idea for a day now, I may pass on this after all. Early indications are that this will cost more than the second hand price of the thing it's based on ( a first for the Boutique range!) and with that small LCD, it could be more of a pain to program than the D-50 was.

The absence of PG1000 type programmability is a shame; of course it would be almost impossible to get all the sliders on the Boutique but instead of taking up a good chunk of 'real estate' with the programming graphics, it would have been nice to have perhaps 10 user assignable sliders there instead. I guess the C1 and C2 will offer some form of real time sound control.

My initial reaction was "yes! Got to get it!" but I've thought about it objectively since.
Manic

Post by Manic »

iixorb wrote:
iixorb wrote:Good - it does apparently have 16 note polyphony. I'm in then !
Having lived with the idea for a day now, I may pass on this after all. Early indications are that this will cost more than the second hand price of the thing it's based on ( a first for the Boutique range!) and with that small LCD, it could be more of a pain to program than the D-50 was.

The absence of PG1000 type programmability is a shame; of course it would be almost impossible to get all the sliders on the Boutique but instead of taking up a good chunk of 'real estate' with the programming graphics, it would have been nice to have perhaps 10 user assignable sliders there instead. I guess the C1 and C2 will offer some form of real time sound control.

My initial reaction was "yes! Got to get it!" but I've thought about it objectively since.
I don't think you will get a technical 100% D-50 with all the expansion cards for the same price. And programminh it is a pain anyway without a (software/hardware) programmer. I guess the D-50 plugin on the roland cloud will be a perfect editor for it and will probably still work as an editor when your cloud trial is expired ;) or you can just use the software if you don't plan to perform with it..
Bodde

Post by Bodde »

iixorb wrote:
iixorb wrote:Early indications are that this will cost more than the second hand price of the thing it's based on ( a first for the Boutique range!)
I agree for about 400-450 euro you buy a used real one. The boutique one sounds quite close though.