V2 firmware with Integra. Works well.

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Emmerson

V2 firmware with Integra. Works well.

Post by Emmerson »

It's not often we are on here to give good comments, normally problems.
I have installed the V2 firmware on my FA-08 and now have a great MID connection with my Integra-7.
It's been a while coming but I am very happy with it. It's very flexible and easy to setup and works well.
Thanks, Roland
Lunar

Re: V2 firmware with Integra. Works well.

Post by Lunar »

I'll second that. With the V2.0 update, the FA is a natural controller for the Integra, the new Master KB functions on the FA work perfectly for bank/patch and Studio Set changes to the I-7, and because the FA Studio Sets send all the FA's MKB settings over MIDI when you change them, it sets up the Integra in two seconds flat without having to manually change anything. Finally, I can start using the Integra live without the A-49 now.
Emmerson

Post by Emmerson »

Do you know if its possible to connect the FA-08 to control the Integra-7 via USB midi ?
Or is it just for connecting a PC and DAW ?
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Unfortunately the USB is only for DAW connections. I think the day when gear can be chained together over USB isn't that far off, but I suppose that all depends on how much companies are willing to work together like they did in the early days of MIDI to create a common set of protocols.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Roland do have devices out there which will act as a usb midi host don't they? I am sure the aria mixer thingy does, and i was sure the Integra could be used with the A800 Pro controller over USB, as they were always seemingly sold as a pair.

So, must admit, i always presumed that the Roland FA would work with the Integra too, but you'd have to put it in the correct usb midi mode first (Vendor/class compliant) - but clearly i'm wrong in presuming all of that.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Skijumptoes, yeah, I forgot about the Aria MX-1 mixer, the FA does have "Aria Link" which means it and the MX-1 can communicate over USB, but it looks like that's only for tempo sync & start/stop commands from what I can tell - the dedicated Aria gear takes more commands over USB. (There's a YouTube video somewhere with Ed Diaz explaining how to set up the FA & MX-1) I don't think the Integra has that though.

I don't know about the A800 controller, but the A-49 can be powered from one of the the Integra USB ports, but still has to have a regular MIDI cable to send info. So Roland do have the technology in place for MIDI-over-USB between some of their devices, and seeing as the FA and Integra are very closely related, now I'm wondering if they might work together. When I tried it, I'm now fairly certain I didn't change the USB & MIDI settings on my I-7, so I might have been a bit hasty with my previous reply! I'm in my studio later today, so I'll try it again with what should be the correct settings, (maybe telling the I-7 to receive MIDI over USB might work) and post the findings.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

No, the I-7 doesn't receive any MIDI data over USB from the FA. The little USB light on the Integra is flashing whenever I press a key on the FA, so it's recognising that something is connected to it, but no actual data seems to be getting transfered. Still, worth a try anyway.