DS as sound source for external controller - how?

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
AaronPDX1

DS as sound source for external controller - how?

Post by AaronPDX1 »

I want to have one of the patches in a performance played by an external keyboard, MIDI'd into the DS. I can successfully set the channel and play the sound, but it's also playing when I play the other 2 (split) sounds on the DS keyboard itself. How do I disable this? I know I can set ranges, but that seems like an awkward workaround.
Recorder

Re: DS as sound source for external controller - how?

Post by Recorder »

AaronPDX1,

When I understood you correctly you want only the external keyboard play the respective Patch.
Try the following:
Select your Performance
Menu
Edit
Performance Edit
Patch Tab (First one which apperas in Performance Edit Mode) far right Kbd
switch the respective Patch to Kbd OFF
save
done

rgds
Heiko
AaronPDX1

Post by AaronPDX1 »

Thanks for replying, Heiko. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work. I've set that patch (part #4) to midi channel 4, and i can play it from the separate controller keyboard, but it also plays from the Juno, which I don't want. Is it because it has been assigned a split portion of the keyboard? (I'm using 16-part mode, with 3 patches mapped across the keyboard, including this one that I'm now trying to play only from the controller.)
cecchino

Post by cecchino »

What Heiko wrote should work (I don't own a Juno DS but it shares a lot of features with the Juno DI I had).
Are you sure there are no other parts inadvertently set to kbd on?
Anyway, putting the patch you want to be only played from the external controller on a keyboard range outside the Juno extension (even a single note) will not harm, as long as the ext controller is set to use channel 4.
The range only applies to sounds played on the internal keyboard.
Hth
C.
Recorder

Post by Recorder »

One idea, if the Patch is selected, in your case Patch 4, it will sound even though the Kbd switch is set to off. Pls ensure that Patch 4 is deselected i.e. use the Pad Buttons and switch to e.g. Pad 1, that should work
Pls let us know
AaronPDX1

Post by AaronPDX1 »

Thanks to both for your responses.

I just figured it out: I had assigned a channel for my controlled patch (patch 4) to something other than its matching, default MIDI channel. In this case I set it to 2; it defaults to 4.

I'm too tired to figure out exactly why it then played on the keyboard, but it did. Now that I've reverted everything to its default channels, the mapping and controlling work properly.
It seems to be that it's advantageous to think through all controlling well in advance, to put the controlled patches in consistent spots, otherwise you'll have to be changing MIDI channel on your controller keyboard every time you have a patch assigned to a different channel.

On a side note, in case it helps anyone else, note that the Juno Di Editor software calls the KBD setting 'SWITCH'; it's the first button in the KEYBOARD RANGE area (in PERFORM mode).

Also for the record: I had tried disabling 'RCV MIDI' in the MIDI section on the Di Editor, for all but the part I am triggering from the controller. But then nothing sounded at all. The reason was explained in the Editor manual: "IF this is OFF, this part cannot be played." Okaaaaaayyyyy..... (Why does the Juno care about channel reception, for performance patches that are to be played locally?)
cecchino

Post by cecchino »

Glad you solved your issue.
Yes, the Juno Di editor calls the kbd setting that way (I thought you were only using the onboard editing functions.
Regarding the MIDI RCV settings, think of your Juno as a combination of controller (the keyboard with all controls like pitch, pots etc.) and a sound generator. This is why if you disable RCV MIDI on a part it will not sound even if you try with the "local" keys. Probably IIRC (I do not own a Juno anymore) if you want a portion of your keybed to drive sounds on an external module only, you have to set a part with KBD switch on and MIDI RCV off. Maybe some current Juno Di / DS will correct me if I am wrong.
AaronPDX1

Post by AaronPDX1 »

It's starting to come into focus, Cecchino. I assume you're correct. This is relevant because I'm considering ditching the 88 and getting a 61 to use as a sound source instead, using my old Roland A30 as the master keyboard (more forgiving key action for these older hands). Thanks for following up!