Tr-8 to MX-1 via USB, slaved to external MIDI

Forum for Aira
badcurve

Tr-8 to MX-1 via USB, slaved to external MIDI

Post by badcurve »

Hello all

I'm having issues syncing the MX-1 and Tr-8 to a MIDI signal from the Arturia BeatStep Pro. Here's the routing:

Beatstep is the Master - MIDI out to a 4 way thru box - sending to the thru box on MIDI channel 10

Out of the Thru box into the Tr-8 with the Tr-8 set to receive on channel 10.

Tr-8 connected to the MX-1 via USB1 channel. Mx-1 set to USB1 input as MIDI sync source.

Tr-8 is receiving MIDI notes fine, but it will not receive start/stop. I've also tried sending the master MIDI into the MX-1 but I'm not sure how the Tr-8 stays in sync. Somehow I need to chain the MIDI data to the Tr-8 as well? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
pstnotpd

Re: Tr-8 to MX-1 via USB, slaved to external MIDI

Post by pstnotpd »

If you have TR-8 connected to MX-1 on the aira link USB I think it will give precedence to USB is it is in AUTO mode for the clock source, as per user guide->Various Settings->System settings.

I myself have MX-1 set up for master tempo, with midi out connected to an iconnectmidi4+ to serve as a USB host/patchbay for my non aira gear. This way everything will respond to MX-1 clock and start-stop, but I can also start-stop everything independently while keeping in sync.

Unfortunately MX-1 doesn't propagate midi to aira links if connected to a master on the midi in (seems to be an outstanding feature request which doesn't get picked up anymore). So if I want to send midi data from non-aira gear to, for intance, S8 I connect using the standard midi and make sure it doesn't send clock or ctrl.

You might want to try connecting both MX-1 and TR-8 to the midi-thru box and clock-slave TR-8 to MX-1 if you eed note data from the beatstep going to TR-8.
badcurve

Post by badcurve »

Hey thanks this helped a lot! I did connect the Tr-8 and MX-1 to my thru-box and they are now syncing correctly. I only needed the clock source, no note data and I believe there is a setting on the Tr-08 to recognize one or the another (not sure). Kind of sucks they couldn't have daisy chained the syncing thru USB instead of me having to send another line of MIDI out from the box.
Boston Green

Post by Boston Green »

Don't know why you're using the 4 way thru box .... Just connect the midi out from Arturia to the midi in on the mx1, connect tr8 to mx1 via usb, set sync on mx1 to midi .... start/stop should now be controlled from the Arturia