Jp80 and ipad.

Forum for JUPITER-80
Xfeten

Jp80 and ipad.

Post by Xfeten »

Hi! Just two weeks with my new and powerful jp80, i,m trying to learn step by step everything about it.

I,ve found some issues or difficulties when connect my ipad to jp80 with the usb port.

1. When coneccting with the apple camera kit, i can transmit and receive midi between ipad and jp80, if the parameter is midi generic Driver. It,s ok.

But if i select the parameter usb audio midi, i cant make sounds the ipad by the jp80 outputs, because jp80 seems to be a device not recognised by the ipad, so ipad cannot sounds by the jp80 outputs, and i would like to.

2. I have a yamaha midi bluetooth interface mdbt01. I cant setup it properly, i am able to transmit midi from the ipad to the jp80 (cubasis app) but not from jp80 to ipad. Maybe a not properly setup?

If somebody has some experience with that issues, i would appreciate their advices. Thx.
Xfeten

Re: Jp80 and ipad.

Post by Xfeten »

Reply myself to question #2. It works if in a registration is activated the external parts tab and setup the midi channel layers properly. However, it doesnt works with every app. I,ve tested ok animoog, sunrizer, sampletank and naive, but i cant achieve it with m3000hd, a brilliant mellotron. So i can transmit midi via bluetooth from jp80 to ipad. Great!
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

The USB audio feature requires a driver for PC/Mac that is not available for other platforms, including iOS/iPad.
Xfeten

Post by Xfeten »

kimsnarf wrote:The USB audio feature requires a driver for PC/Mac that is not available for other platforms, including iOS/iPad.

Thanks Kimsnarf.
SoundReverend

Post by SoundReverend »

BTW where is the iPad Editor? I cannot find it in the German and US store, did they take it offline? The Integra Editor is gone as well... nice!
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

SoundReverend wrote:BTW where is the iPad Editor? I cannot find it in the German and US store, did they take it offline? The Integra Editor is gone as well... nice!
I believe both were taken off of the App Store because they were 32-bit apps, and Apple is enforcing that apps be updated to 64-bit. It's not clear if Apple has hidden them (and many other apps), or if Roland has taken them down. I haven't heard any word as to whether or not Roland plans to update the apps.
marctronixx

not a major apple user

Post by marctronixx »

is there anyway to SEND over the app from one apple product to another? i have it on an ipad and the app is in the itunes applications tab on the ipad...
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

Both are discontinued as of iOS 11 and will not run on that OS:
https://www.roland.com/global/support/s ... 092010511/

Copying will not work. The app will still not run.
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

ooh thank you for the heads up.

the ipad i use on the jupiter is not on 11.
SoundReverend

Post by SoundReverend »

They could have just left it on the App Store for people that have older iPads, Roland just sometimes (?) is really stupid. I have the Roland Integra App running on my iPad 1. Perfect for that, I don't even know what iOS it has, 5? 6? Who cares, it makes my iPad useful just for that use case. And what happens if I it dies, will I be able to reinstall it again from my account?

So maybe one has to jailbreak an old iPad and find the App on some other store, just something that came in my mind. I would never jailbreak a newer model, but iPad 1? Out of warranty, out of support, out of everything :)
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

Roland couldn't leave it in the App Store since Apple are cleaning out old apps that are not updated. So Apple basically forced them to remove it or take the cost to update it, which I assume would not be trivial since a lot has happened since the Jupiter-80 app was made (same with the Integra-app). The apps didn't even use retina assets, so a whole new set of graphics were required. Blame Apple for not supporting older but fully functional apps. The best Roland could do (for the community) is release the source code for the apps (i.e. open source them) and let the community take over, but that isn't really in their DNA.
SoundReverend

Post by SoundReverend »

Still interested in the Editor I saw that there is a possibility to install Apps via "Sideload", nothing spectacular and no jail breaking involved, so all we need is someone to provide the "JP Synth Editor 1.1.0.ipa" that used to be stored in the iTunes Mobile Application folder...

Could anyone please provide this?

I still have my old iPad 1 which is more than good enough for these kind of Apps, runs the Integra Editor flawlessly...

Thanks
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

i still have the jp editor and use it (mostly for show :) ). im an android user so i don't know the inner working of ios like i do android.

still, im willing to help if i can...
SoundReverend

Post by SoundReverend »

marctronixx wrote:i still have the jp editor and use it (mostly for show :) ). im an android user so i don't know the inner working of ios like i do android.

still, im willing to help if i can...
Well it only works if you had iTunes installed and a version before the last one (They took out App Syncing in 12.X)

If you synced your iPad, it normally stored the Apps within the iTunes Folder (On a Mac it is in the Users folder ../Music/iTunes/ and then either iTunes Media or Mobile Apps or similar, and there you would normally find .ipa files of the Apps.. including the JP Editor. And that should be zipped and put somewhere for Backup purposes... :-)

Thanks for trying, I am not even sure if I manage to put an ipa file on an old iPad, that is another story...
cello

Post by cello »

SoundReverend wrote:… Thanks for trying, I am not even sure if I manage to put an ipa file on an old iPad, that is another story...

I have the ipa file. I will be uploading it later today on my website - http://www.jp-80.com. Will post again here once it's available for download.