Am I the only one who wants a K-49m and a K-61m?

Forum for boutique synths
vst_twc

Am I the only one who wants a K-49m and a K-61m?

Post by vst_twc »

The K-25m is super convenient. I have other midi controllers but because of the fact that it's all just one unit, I find myself using this thing more often than some of the full size controllers that I have.

I'd love to see a 49 key and 61 key dockable controller like the K-25m, and for them to attach via the ribbon cable that the k-25m uses. I think I saw somebody suggest that perhaps the K-61m could have a slot for a second boutique, kinda like having a DK-01 built in.

Thoughts?
apauw

Re: Am I the only one who wants a K-49m and a K-61m?

Post by apauw »

You're not the only one. Even a K-37m would be great.

The only thing I'm worried about is pricing, the K-25m costs around 100 Euro, I don't like to think what Roland will charge for a K-49m or K-61m. I assume the m stands for minikeys.

A K-37n (normal keys) would be great too.

I assume the K-25m design is patented, as no keyboard manufacturer jumped into this marked and produce normal keyboards with Boutique docking.

Maybe Roland will surprise us at NAMM with a keyboard.
vst_twc

Post by vst_twc »

Yeah, mini-keys don't bother me. Surprisingly I'm a classically trained pianist, so I should technically hate mini keys.

But you're right that I'm surprised there aren't more 3rd party accessories for the boutique range. Besides the Deck savers and a few boutique stands, nobody is producing stuff for there guys.
tbeltrans

Post by tbeltrans »

How popular are the Boutique modules, considering the big picture? Sometimes a forum devoted to a specific market niche seems a lot bigger than it really is. I see that with carbon fiber guitars. I would agree with others here that third party vendors could do well to offer products supporting the Boutique series - *IF* the market is big enough. There are a lot of third party vendors for all things Apple "iXXXX" because that is a large market area.

Personally, I think the K-25m is a good and compact idea for fooling around with the Boutique modules, but agree that a larger midi controller is more suitable for more serious playing. I have a Linnstrument that I intend to use with these modules instead of the more "normal" keyboard controller:

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/linnstrument.html

This thing seems to cause more "outside the box" approaches to making music so it doesn't come from just muscle memory. I am using the K-25m for learning my way around each module that I have. I am taking each module by itself and spending time with it to really learn how to use it, before diving into any kind of production involving several modules, at which point I intend to use the Linnstrument.

I do have my D-05 currently midi'ed to my Roland V-Grand digital piano because it creates some nice atmospheres under my piano playing.

Tony