System 500?

Talk about anything here
knobacon

System 500?

Post by knobacon »

Just looking for some info from people with hands on...Is there not a forum section for the System 500? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Tom_1970

Re: System 500?

Post by Tom_1970 »

I have a System-500.
Together with the System-1m it was my introduction in Modular.
jicamasalad

Post by jicamasalad »

Hi there,

I have a System 500 and I love it; would love to connect or chat with other users as well - perhaps we should start a System 500 thread? I'm new to the forum, so not sure. I'd be happy to share any info or experience I have with you.

If anyone has any news or rumors about new System 500 modules I'd love to hear even a rumor to hang on to; this system is so great, and I hope Roland and Malekko are working on a 500 version of the 110, module, which was a complete "voice" (VCO, VCF, VCA) which would be an amazing addition to the System 500.

Does anyone know if Roland consider this instrument a "success", sales-wise?

Cheers and respect,
rK
jicamasalad

Post by jicamasalad »

Following up on my own post, maybe as a bump, I notice that Superbooth has announced their exhibitor lineup for this 2018, and that Roland is listed under the manufactures showing Eurorack products...possibly a clerical error? Or possibly the new System 500 modules a few of us are dreaming of? Or something new...?

Thoughts, leads, rumors welcome...

https://www.superbooth.com/en/messe-102 ... er[4][]=11
jicamasalad

Post by jicamasalad »

I'll bump my own post again, because I'm so danged excited to have discovered this image; my prayers to the modular gods are being answered! Thank you Roland!!

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 41#2805341

Looks like a 510 (110 from the System 100m) full voice; a 531, version of the 131 Output Mixer, a 555, an update of the 150 Sample and Hold/ Ring/LFO; and a new module, the 505, which looks like another flavor of VCF of some kind.

VERY EXCITING NEWS
Analog Man

Post by Analog Man »

The trouble is that there is no reason that Roland should be charging the price they do for the System 500 modules with modern manufacturing and old circuits.

So it looks like Behringer is going to clone the lot of the 100m modules for $49 to $99 each

See here:

https://ask.audio/articles/behringer-re ... ule-clones

This is what manufacturers should be doing making things for a reasonable profit and not what the market will bare.

Roland like I have said before has shot itself in the foot, they could have owned the market, but would rather just sell a few units to the rich who probably have them for aesthetic reasons only as they look cool. You can hand make these for cheaper than that. Even if Roland is making a huge profit on them, how are they going to reduce the price to compete with Behringer and their 3 YEAR WARRANTY, when others have already paid a lot for them? Are they going to reduce the price like they did in Australia with the JD-XA and screw over the System 500 loyal purchasers?

Behringer has shown that they can make stuff for cheap which cannot be distinguished from the original. Take for instance the Behringer Model D.

Sorry to sound so harsh but Roland made an error going down this road and will now pay for it like Moog with the Model D being as good as a new Minimoog which costs about 10x.
jicamasalad

Post by jicamasalad »

I hear you, and you're not alone in your opinion.

I will take a little exception at your suggestion about "the rich who probably have them for aesthetic reasons" - I happen to love the sound, the build quality and the design of the System 500, and I'm not "rich" - just a professional who appreciates well-made instruments. Also, having worked for a manufacturer hand-building modular synthesizers, I can assure you it is not an inexpensive operation; labor costs are high unless you automate and scale it up to large numbers the way Behringer are doing; and the "old circuits" are still new layouts and designs, as necessitated by modern manufacturing, so there is R&D investment to recover as well.

It seems likely there is enough "market" for folks who think a Behringer clone at $49 - $99 meets all their requirements, in addition to those of us who prefer to purchase the Roland modules. Isn't there room for both?
Analog Man

Post by Analog Man »

The go at the rich was a stab at the fact that if Behringer releases these, I cannot see how the quality will be lower than Roland, when Roland only gives 1 year warranty on these, and Behringer 3. Just looking at the Behringer designs it looks like they will be using higher quality 3.5mm jacks. I also have some System 500 modules and was stretched to afford them, so not rich either and I will once again lose when these come out. My argument is than only someone with too much money would buy the Roland ones, as once Behringer makes these as I guarantee they will sound as good and be as good, as there is nothing special about the parts used in them it is only the design. These are now allowed to be copied like the old Moog designs, but don't feel bad about someone copying Roland's designs as Roland copies, some of their older filters resemble the ladder design of Moog.

I had actual 100M blocks years ago and sold them for cheap, before the big price rises. However I would not touch an original one now as the older circuits use ICs which are impossible to find. A new block from Behringer would probably cost less than a few of these ICs. I actually also think also that Behringer's rotary knobs will be better than the sliders. I do electronics and I have made my own gear and I can tell you for a fact that these System 500 modules are and always were very overpriced for what they would cost to manufacture. Surface mount parts cost virtually nothing in comparison to older through hole parts and the automation makes them very cheap to make once set up. The only thing Behringer should do is release the whole set at once so people can make up a complete system, not the way Roland is doing it now, holding back the 555 which was one of the most important modules until now.
jicamasalad

Post by jicamasalad »

Fair enough, we all have our opinions. I just racked up the new 505 and 555 modules and they are great for me; build quality is excellent, and the sound of the filter is very sweet - quite different from other Euro filters in my case, so I'm very pleased.

I hope that when Behringer realize their version of the System 100m, you will enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying the System 500.

Cheers!
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

I'm considering a System 500 as my gateway into modular. They seem to be holding their value second hand, which is always a good sign. The Strymon AA.1 is what put me over, now I can interface with my guitar rig.

https://www.strymon.net/products/aa1/
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

The System-500 units are pretty expensive, I agree. But that goes for most Roland gear initially and who can blame them? Obviously enough people are willing to lay down the cash. At the same time it is the Roland gear that seems to have significant rises and falls in prices. I love most of the Roland gear, but I have learned to control my GAS and patiently monitor prices and sales. I set myself a benchmark price for everything I want, subtract a 10% discount and just wait for that price, or less, to come along at a moment I have saved enough to be able to buy it.

As far as the System-500 goes, over the years I have very patiently acquired 4 512, 4 521, 4 540, 2 530 and 2 572 modules. I have to say that my initial Complete Set was priced wrong when it was first announced and it "only" cost me € 1450 with the case included. Anyway, I saw it and just wanted to go all mini-'Hans Zimmer' and build one huge, dynamic, polyphonic System-500 synth. I have even drawn me a blueprint of the full system I would like to build, which changes periodically.

When the prices dropped I also bought all four Effect modules. Although they are digital I think these are very underappreciated given their huge capabilities. The System-1m and a wide range of both the old and new System-500 modules are still on my wish list. Yup, it will take years and that is part of the joy of collecting. That being said, with the build of my home studio delayed until next year all toys have been in storage for over a year.

If Roland are watching, there are some things I would like to see added. Obviously a midi controllable module that can output 4 or 8 voice polyphonic CV/GATE would be excellent. I am neurotic enough to prefer that over a single Doepfer module in my Roland System only rack. On the other hand I would simply love a dual or quad multiplier module. Not very sexy, but so nice to have. And it realy should not have to be that expensive ... Roland? ... listening?
jicamasalad

Post by jicamasalad »

Analog Man wrote: 15:42, 25 May 2018 The trouble is that there is no reason that Roland should be charging the price they do for the System 500 modules with modern manufacturing and old circuits.
Sorry to sound so harsh but Roland made an error going down this road and will now pay for it like Moog with the Model D being as good as a new Minimoog which costs about 10x.
I was scrolling the forum and curious if you ended up purchasing the Behringer System 100 modules? If so, how are they working out for you?

I have recently added three more 540 VCAs (because, well, you all know about VCAs....) to my SYS500, and am still in love with it. Anyone have any inside news about further System 500 modules from Roland? These units still being available after 6 years is a pretty good run - nearly longer than the System 100m was available, in fact!

Cheers to all!
-kS