DS88 Sound List

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
nicholad

DS88 Sound List

Post by nicholad »

Probably should have looked here first. Anyway, I created a sound list that matchesmy recently purchased DS88's set. Don't want to admit how many hours this took me, but I needed something I could browse through to find the number of a particular sound, rather than turning the knob one instrument at a time looking for a flute, sound effect, pipe organ, etc. It's arranged by category and contains the number and name of each sound without all the extra confusing crap that the Parameter Guide has. Which, by the way, is not arranged by category and is missing a LOT.
Hopefully someone else can make use of this - it matches my DS88 exactly, but I have no idea how often Roland changes things. Currently in docx format, but I can change it to doc or pdf if anyone would like...
Attachments
Sounds.docx
(45.22 KiB) Downloaded 3577 times
joelfan

Re: DS88 Sound List

Post by joelfan »

Thank you Nicholad!
But didn't you use this one:
https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... 02ef53852/
nicholad

Post by nicholad »

You're welcome joelfan! Yes I did use that, it's the Parameter Guide I referred to. However, the sounds aren't listed in order completely (the group buttons across the DS88 just above the keyboard), and many of the sounds weren't even listed. Many hours work first converting to an editable pdf (access denied on the original), then exporting as Word (docx), then putting it all in order to match the synth, then removing all the extra data I didn't need, then typing by hand all the missing sounds. I still have the original - the complete Parameter Guide saved as docx, if anyone wants it. For me I just wanted a list I could look through to find certain instruments/sounds, rather than turning the knob one sound at a time.
If anyone wants that Parameter Guide in docx, just reply and I'll post it...
AaronPDX1

Post by AaronPDX1 »

Nicholad, isn't it annoying how Roland Japan protects all the PDF manuals? No highlighting, bookmarking, no ease of use... Urgh.

Please do post the docx you made!

Thanks.
nicholad

Post by nicholad »

AaronPDX1 - first, sorry about the long delay. I work literally all day long and am only able to do my hobby (music/computers) on weekends. Yes, it was quite annoying. First, finding out that they locked up the pdf (why?), secondly, that the information was only about 80-90% there. You'll see when you open it how much fun I had getting it into that sound list format. Anyway, here's the file you requested
Attachments
Parameter Guide.docx
(351.52 KiB) Downloaded 1027 times
AaronPDX1

Post by AaronPDX1 »

Thanks, Nicholad! This could come in handy.

Best,
Aaron
Wild Heart

Post by Wild Heart »

Thanks very much for this.
I've only recently bought the DS88 and am furiously working out layers/splits etc for which these forums have been really helpful.
But, this is a God send.
I often wondered whether there was an actual physical list of all the sounds available and my search has brought me here! :O)
Just working on the Clavinet part for Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" and it's really helpful to just do a quick search as to where all the possibles are, so, thanks, once again.
stevieraylong

Post by stevieraylong »

Nicholad,

Thank you for all your hard work. It's ridiculous that Roland doesn't provide this for their clientele. Your work has helped me greatly. I teach Keyboards at the School of Rock in Katy, Texas, and we just purchased 2 DS-88's. With 2,000 onboard sounds, having a list is critical. You've done us all a great service.
scotz74

Post by scotz74 »

Brilliant, Thanks Nicolad, I have found this really useful several times over. Thanks for doing it and posting!
scotz74

Post by scotz74 »

Wild Heart wrote: 12:00, 2 May 2019 Thanks very much for this.
I've only recently bought the DS88 and am furiously working out layers/splits etc for which these forums have been really helpful.
But, this is a God send.
I often wondered whether there was an actual physical list of all the sounds available and my search has brought me here! :O)
Just working on the Clavinet part for Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" and it's really helpful to just do a quick search as to where all the possibles are, so, thanks, once again.
What's your favourite Clavi for Superstition out of interest @Wild_Heart?? I use the Biting Clav with a bit of resonance myself.