Pitch bend disable/reassign

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
wilkinsi

Pitch bend disable/reassign

Post by wilkinsi »

I want to use the pitch bend fork (if that's what the lever on the left of the FA-06 is called) to send MIDI data, but NOT bend the pitch. Is there an easy way to do this?
Candy

Re: Pitch bend disable/reassign

Post by Candy »

No, it is not possible. But you can assign several Midi-Controller to the Assign-Knobs!

Candy
RoDi

Post by RoDi »

Goto 'part view' screen, select 'Midi Rx Filter' tab. Here you can disble the reaction of each part to pitchbend (column 'PB') individually. The FA will still send the pitch bend data over MIDI.

See also my reply to the piano/organ thread.

Best regards,
RoDi
wilkinsi

Post by wilkinsi »

I tried as you suggested, but it doesn't prevent pitch bending of any note played. I am trying to use the pitch bend wheel on the FA06 to modulate parameters on a soft synth. The pitch bend wheel on the FA06, if pushed forward, is recognised by the soft synth as MIDI CC#1. What I wanted to do is turn the pitch bend wheel left/right. Unfortunately, doing so results in the pitch of every note played increasing (right) or decreasing (left).

I got irritated, so I decided to use one of the SOUND MODIFY knobs instead. The sixth knob is seen by the soft synth as MIDI CC#91 for example.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Just go to DAW Control mode on your FA, and it will only send midi data, you can have pages of different midi CC assignments with your sound control knobs too which is great for soft synths.
Xanadu1209

Post by Xanadu1209 »

I think he’s trying to assign the bender to control something other than pitch. I’m not aware of a way to do that on the FA.
wilkinsi

Post by wilkinsi »

I put it in DAW CTRL mode, but using the pitchbend wheel still affects the pitch. I don't know if it matters, but I am using MOTU Digital Performer, not Sonar, Logic or anything else the FA06 has on its DAW list.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Ah ok sorry, so you want to assign the pitch bend to another midi cc right? I thought the issue was that you were bending the pitch on the plugin and it was accidentally changing pitch on the FA.

So, you can use the pitch bend to route to a different midi cc with certain DAW's. Which DAW and OS are you using?, basically, you will need a midi transformer plugin BEFORE the soft synth to achieve that. I use Ableton and Logic and i know you can do it with both of those.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

It is easy using matrix control. Select SOURCE BEND and DESTINATION to whatever you like. You don't have to use any midi transformers. Matrix is the transformation method itself.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

The Matrix is only transforming inside the FA's sound engine isn't it? i.e. the OP is wanting the FA pitch bend to send a different CC message to their daw/soft synth.