SH01a sequencer auto start problem

Forum for boutique synths
elastic

SH01a sequencer auto start problem

Post by elastic »

Hi,

I have connected my sh01a to my computer via usb. The problem is when i press play in ableton, the sequencer always starts playing on the 101.

I still want to be able to use the sequencer on it in time with ableton, i just don't want it to play a pattern automatically overtime i press play.

Any ideas how to stop this?

Thanks
cloudburst

Re: SH01a sequencer auto start problem

Post by cloudburst »

Create an empty pattern on the SH-01A.

CB
elastic

Post by elastic »

thanks, been searching since you replied on how to do that but can't see anything in the manual.

Any ideas how you delete a pattern or record an empty pattern?

Thanks for your time and help
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

Yep. No problem. It's not really explained in then manual.

There are 64 pattern locations (banks 1-8, each with 8 locations).
The last 16 of those pattern locations are empty* so you could select any of locations P7-1 through P8-8.

For example, select 7-4 as follows:
MENU, press 2, turn tempo knob to P7, press 4.

*These locations aren't actually empty, they just each have a pattern of 16 rests (so they might as well be empty).

If you wanted to change location P1-1 to be empty, then you could start off in a couple of ways - either by selecting a location that already has an empty pattern or by creating an empty pattern by selecting LOAD then REST (you can cycle through the steps using the tempo knob).

In both cases, to write the pattern to P1-1:
MENU, press 2, turn tempo knob to P1, then LONG press 1 until P1-1 flashes.

CB
elastic

Post by elastic »

Wonderful, thanks so much for your help,

I'm still having problems transposing a sequence from ableton though.

I have recorded my transpose keys into a midi clip in ableton, but when i play the clip back and hold the transpose button, its not transposing.

The midi is going from ableton to the usb in of my midi keyboard, then it says in the manual it gets passed to the midi out port which is going to my midi in on the 101.

Any ideas?

thanks
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

When you start the pattern in your DAW and use it to control the SH-01A, it's not a pattern as far as the SH-01A is concerned - it's a series of MIDI note-on and note-off events.

CB
elastic

Post by elastic »

That’s fine, as I expected. In my eyes it should be sending these notes to my midi keyboard, which would then pass them to the 101 via midi in. Now, if I hold the transpose key down it should be transposing the sequence just as if I was pressing the keys on the keyboard.

Hope that makes sense.
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

elastic wrote:That’s fine, as I expected. In my eyes it should be sending these notes to my midi keyboard, which would then pass them to the 101 via midi in. Now, if I hold the transpose key down it should be transposing the sequence just as if I was pressing the keys on the keyboard.

Hope that makes sense.
That's exactly what will be happening! However, it's probably not the behaviour you want.

When you initially create and 'play' the pattern on the SH-01A:
- The sequence of notes is being played from the SH-01A's memory
- Whilst holding the transpose button the note you enter on your keyboard will determine the transpose interval In this case the notes use to transpose are completely separate from the notes in the sequence.

Then you use your DAW to control the SH-01A using the recorded sequence:
- The sequence of notes is entering the SH-01A via MIDI and you have no control over this
- Whilst holding the transpose button, each of these incoming notes will, in turn, change the transpose interval
In this case the notes in the sequence are also used to transpose.

CB
elastic

Post by elastic »

Ah yes i think we're on the same page, i just can't seem to get that final part right for some reason.

The midi in ableton is playing back ok, and seeming to send there midi out of ableton to my midi controller ok, but it doesn't seem to be sending them note messages to the 101 telling it to transpose.

I'll keep digging!
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

elastic wrote:Ah yes i think we're on the same page, i just can't seem to get that final part right for some reason.

The midi in ableton is playing back ok, and seeming to send there midi out of ableton to my midi controller ok, but it doesn't seem to be sending them note messages to the 101 telling it to transpose.

I'll keep digging!
Ah - I didn't realise that was your desired use-case.

I think this will work for you by not having the MIDI track in your DAW record-enabled. You need that MIDI track just to be sending notes and not accepting input from your SH-01A as well.

This works for me, albeit I use Logic Pro X. But I can create a sequence and have it playing on the SH-01A and have another sequence of MIDI notes in my DAW control the transposition of the running sequence on my SH-01A.

CB
elastic

Post by elastic »

That sounds pretty much exactly what I'm trying to do i think. Will keep testing! Thanks!
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

I think you need to disarm recording on that track.

CB
elastic

Post by elastic »

Tried that but it doesn't help. Damn, i feel so close, i wonder what it can be?!
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

That worked perfectly for me with Logic Pro X. So I’m afraid I’ll not be of any further help.

CB
elastic

Post by elastic »

Am i right in thinking that midi can be passed from the USB midi in on my keyboard, to the midi out on the keyboard, which I've got plugged in to the midi in on the sh01a

I'm sure i read that it does in the manual. Just wanted to double check.