Va synth lfo routing options

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
paulmapp8306

Va synth lfo routing options

Post by paulmapp8306 »

Hi all,

Looking for a replacement for a fandom s, that will partner an rd 2000.

The most important part is an analogue/va engine (which the s doesn't have hence being replaced. The rd covers a lot of other ground already) but must have min 61 keys and non hammer action which rules out a lot of pure synths.

Q for the fa, can I route an lfo/mod lfo to parameters such as cut off freq in the va synth engine? Can't see it in the manuals and as I don't have one I can't just play. If not it's a deal breaker :( and I'll need to keep looking for an affordable solution elsewhere.
RoDi

Re: Va synth lfo routing options

Post by RoDi »

Both LFOs can modulate pitch, filter cutoff, amp level and pan.

Hope this helps,
RoDi
paulmapp8306

Post by paulmapp8306 »

Yep - that helps. Thanks
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Other than the supernatural synth, the FA has the same 'VA' PCM synth engine as the Fantom, which arguably has better routing options than supernatural thanks to it's matrix design, it's a straight up 2x LFO design with a step LFO too. But is quite ageing. Again, i believe it's identical to that in the Fantom S.

Supernatural however, has 3 LFO's per tone but you can only use 1 LFO per partial - i.e. you can't LFO pan at a different rate than cutoff on the same partial. PCM engine has 4 LFO's per tone, i.e. one per partial.

However, there is a modulation LFO which is technically the second LFO, and is engaged via modulation wheel, but you can keep the Modulation engaged via a button mapping (S1 etc.), but it's not as straightforward as LFO1/2.

Geez, i hope i've remembered all that correctly or i'm getting shot! lol :)

The supernatural engine is better sounding, but i wouldn't' say that the Fantom's are not VA's, and you can already modulate cutoff etc. via it's LFO as above - just making sure you're aware of that?
paulmapp8306

Post by paulmapp8306 »

Sorry for the delay - I couldnt log into the forum.

Does the FA have the same 2LFO plus step LFO on its PCM engine? or is it the same as the sns - single LFO plus a mod lfo.

I I can get the same as the Fantom-S but add the SNS engine, and supernatural orchestral stuff, then I think its worth doing. If the PCM stuff isnt as good as the fantom-S then it might be worth looking at other options (finding a way to add a proper synth module instead rather than replacing the S).

The FX section is different. They both have a single MFX per tone, however is performance/set list the S has 3 MFXs that can be routed in any way - and can be applied to any or all of the 16 tones - where as the FA only has a single MFX BUT each of the 16 tones can have its own. It means if you have a single, or possibly 2 tones in a performance on the S - the FX is more powerful, but if you have more than 3 tonnes the FAs is a more powerful system. Swings and roundabouts that one.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Yup PCM engine has 2x LFO's plus Step LFO, just old school Roland PCM-S, like you got on the fantoms (i.e. the XV5080 lineage)

But running as a separate engine the SN-S differs in that it lacks any kind of matrix routing, other than routing to CC's for the MFX (Of which you get one per part), and of course the SN engine is from the 'newer' Jupiter lineage. Both engines sit within a studio set so outside of the engine for that tone everything else is the same, i.e. the EQ, MFX Routing, and offset patching on a per basis.

I never had a Fantom S, but i had an X, and a Juno G - and while there was a gap between those and the FA, it all seems hugely similar to me and my memory, not sure what the S had but all fantoms followed that XV lineage but had expanded sampling features which i wish the FA had! :(

..in fact, i'm really tempted to get another Fantom X as i really miss the sample feature that much, and the 88 key seems to be quite a good price secondhand nowadays. :-)

The MFX was the same on my Juno G, but i'm sure the X had more MFX's from memory? But yeah i totally get what you mean, i was worried about the MFX routing on a per tone basis, but it's fantastic, no more do you pick a tone and put it in a studio set (performance), or sequence and it sounds radically different - so quick and easy that whether you're playing single tones, duals, splits or sequencer it all just feels the same, and i love that about the FA.

Any extra effects that i need are covered via the overall chorus (Which i usually set as delay) and reverb sends, plus TFX is there if you want to get a bit crazy. I think i'm one of the few who actually really likes TFX. :)

Also, the FA's processor seems to cope well with anything you throw at it, there's no slowdown whatsoever - even scrolling through tone edits with a full sequence it is quick, if you haven't used one, while it feels cheap (-08 not so much), it's a real performer.

One note though, and i wasn't fully aware of this when buying the FA - is that you don't get all the Supernatural acoustic (SN-A) range from the Integra/Jupiters, i.e. it's missing quite a portion of them. Supernatural Synth (SN-S) you get all of it, however.