JP-8 Poly Chain

Forum for boutique synths
Fourfiftyfour

JP-8 Poly Chain

Post by Fourfiftyfour »

Hello,

It's been a long time and I've brought some new Roland Stuff. The JP-8 being one of them. I played around with it sounds good but I heard you could buy a second one to get 8 voices for some Jupiter 8 like action. I also heard there was a problem with note stealing the way the chained systems read voices when you start playing chords and such. It would be quite a problem for some expressive playing unless you're going big. I was just wondering what some of you think that own the JP-8 and are using this setup. Is is worth buying another JP-8 to get 8 voices with the note stealing factor?
n00dle

Re: JP-8 Poly Chain

Post by n00dle »

I am very curious about this note stealing issue as well. Either I gamble with a second JP-08 or go with a D-05. I feel like 4 voice is extremely limited for pad synths. I do understand that you get what you pay for, but proper polychaining should be implemented. These little boutiques are so convenient with 3rd party stands/racks, I would love to have a couple of each model, but the refaces are starting to seem more interesting.
tomatoKetchup

Post by tomatoKetchup »

I have 2 JP-08 chained together. From my experience it's worth it if you get a good deal on a second one. The voice stealing issue only appears in some very particular cases where you'd have a pad with long attack and release for example. In 90% of the time it's not noticeable, especially if you're sequencing via a DAW (cause you can then arrange the notes in a way to prevent any voice stealing).
It's especially when using the Dual Mode that the poly-chaining becomes really necessary. In Dual mode one JP08 has only 2-note polyphony which makes it quite useless. With 2 together you extent it to 4 which allows you to make proper chords and big sounding lush pads.

So yes, if you like the sound of your JP-08, keep an eye out for a second one on the second hand market.
Fourfiftyfour

Post by Fourfiftyfour »

Thanks for the heads up. What I had was another JX3P ... my goodness does that thing sound beatiful with I can only play 4 notes at a time I slam my hands on the table. The Chords on that sound so beautiful it's begging for more notes to be played.