V 3.0 software out

The workstation, redefined
JonSolo

V 3.0 software out

Post by JonSolo »

It is out with support for new synth engine: EXM007 n/zyme.

Update is free, new expansion is $149.

https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... 34d03c6cf/
mostinif

Re: V 3.0 software out

Post by mostinif »

JonSolo:

Also includes:

64 bars per pattern...
3 MFX (Phonograph / Exiter / JD-Multi )
Param icon on tone name while shows scene's one zone view
XY Pad on MFX Edit zoom
Time signatures added!! 1- 32 / 2, 4, 8, 16 (Great!)
Functions added to TR-REC
Scene file structure changes ( scenes created with version 3.0 are not full compatibles with earlier system code )

BTW n/zyme places FANTOM again as a innovator in synth technology . It's really impressive.

Best regards
Flavio
Per

Post by Per »

Congratulations to them for getting it done, it’s not for me, I’m not keen on being nickel and dimed on a $4k synth but it does look like fun and I’m glad they’re putting updates out still. Hopefully this won’t be the last one. I really hope they’ll fix/implement decent arps next with individual per part arps/patterns next.
danx

Post by danx »

I’m not keen on being nickel and dimed on a $4k synth
+100
neomad

Post by neomad »

Welcome... but still no linear sequencer? :-(
cello

Post by cello »

neomad wrote: 07:30, 21 January 2022 Welcome... but still no linear sequencer? :-(
No but a pattern can now have 64 measures, essentially doubling the maximum length of a sequence which is getting there!
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

What a surprise! Thank you Roland!
JonSolo

Post by JonSolo »

I actually like this update. I don't mind paying for innovation (in fact I just bought the expansion...it is great).

I would have loved to see the JD-800 or the new voice expansion come over to this instrument as well, though...even at a price.
EdGe

Post by EdGe »

I can't claim the "beats" feature in the sequencer was my idea, but I did mention it to Scott Berry (Roland Trainer/Tech) in one of their classes.

The Alesis MMT8 was also a pattern-based sequencer. But how they worked around explicit time signatures was "Length" of a "Part" in beats. So, if you wanted 4 measures of 4/4...it was 16 beats, or four measures of 3/4 it was 12...along those lines.

Cool, Roland. Nice work-around!
TokyoScarab

Post by TokyoScarab »

Per wrote: 06:01, 21 January 2022 I’m not keen on being nickel and dimed on a $4k synth
I mean, I feel you on this, but also at the same time, it's no different with Korg and the Kronos / Nautilus. They just revamped their store and it's the same deal and has been for a long time. You can buy whole new pianos, drum kits, etc. All can be easily loaded into the unit and none of it is cheap. Most everything is $149 a pop just as the Roland expansion / VST pricing is. I get that it sucks it isn't free, but that development cost has to come from somewhere. I'm all for supporting Roland do something new. I can't think of them ever having done a wavetable synth in the past, so I was very shocked to find out the new model expansion wasn't a recreation but something completely new.
EdGe

Post by EdGe »

TokyoScarab wrote: 21:42, 21 January 2022
Per wrote: 06:01, 21 January 2022 I’m not keen on being nickel and dimed on a $4k synth
(snip)
I get that it sucks it isn't free, but that development cost has to come from somewhere. I'm all for supporting Roland do something new. I can't think of them ever having done a wavetable synth in the past, so I was very shocked to find out the new model expansion wasn't a recreation but something completely new.
Yeah, it kinda sucks that there was a charge but this is truly new for Roland...I can't think of a wavetable synth they've put out before this. It makes the Fantom unique.

The n/zyme (icky name) has a certain Fairlight (as I judge through Arturia's version) spectral synth sound to it...
JonSolo

Post by JonSolo »

The new synth is brilliant for a workstation. Definitely new and cutting edge for something like this. The sounds are great. I have never been a fan of wavetable, but the Fantom is warm enough to bring out the best in sound...especially when combined with other expansions.
Fleer

Post by Fleer »

danx wrote: 06:27, 21 January 2022
+100
True. If they’re going to sell more FantomS to new buyers they’d better not do that.
neomad

Post by neomad »

cello wrote: 11:08, 21 January 2022
neomad wrote: 07:30, 21 January 2022 Welcome... but still no linear sequencer? :-(
No but a pattern can now have 64 measures, essentially doubling the maximum length of a sequence which is getting there!
Yes ! love this board...
Synth Robot

Post by Synth Robot »

danx wrote: 06:27, 21 January 2022
+100
I agree with this above, also the update to v3.00 is still missing some much needed and wanted functions like the aftertouch fixed on the Fantom 8 (see all the other posts for all the other fixes needed). So $149 for the N/Zyme is a joke for Fantom owners, these should be given for free to compensate for it's other unsolved bugs and flaws. I'm sure it's a good addon but PPG had the Wave 2 in 1981 which had complex wavetable synthesis and Behringer is making a low cost hardware clone of this. Have we not paid enough for the Fantom already, and as mentioned elsewhere, what are new buyers going to think; oh cool look what the Fantom does, I mean it costs $6k (here) but, - oh wait a minute it doesn't do X, Y and Z unless I pay another $149 + $149 + $149. Why don't I just buy 3 Korg Volcas or save a few dollars more and get an ARP 2600 hardware clone instead. I could then download some free Wavetable Synths or (good) free Sequencer VSTs and run them in Ableton etc with the Fantom Integration anyway?

I mean, this is hilarious, Roland is bragging that 'The expandable sound engine delivers our best electronic and acoustic sounds, with the depth and control to combine and shape them in exciting new ways', but only if you pay $149 extra for each of the 'exiting new ways'. And wow after all of these years of research into modeling synths including all of our own past ones, we (at Roland) have just discovered a new thing the Fantom can do; it can use wavetables like a synth from 1981 and run other models of our old gear as well for $149 each. This sounds to me like Roland is just holding back functions and models that the Fantom could and should be able to do (and load for free); and dribbling them out to pad out their updates and slowly grab every nickel and dime they can. I know others do this, but I own a Fantom 8 not any of the others and I would rather save my nickels and dimes for something else, like a MODX or other hardware synth that does stuff the Fantom cannot do, after all the Fantom has a finite capacity so you can't use all the models and extra functions at once anyway. That's my 15 cents worth.