Fantom 7 Frozen White Logo Screen

The workstation, redefined
flyingace

Fantom 7 Frozen White Logo Screen

Post by flyingace »

I bought my Fantom 7 in Sept 2019 and have had NO issues until today. I was jus playing it with V3.01 firmware 2 days ago just fine. And today, upon startup, it freezes at the white Roland logo screen when the knobs turn blue. I was able to boot it up with the update v3.01 and it worked through normally, ended and I powered off and on... same frozen spot. ugh.

I have contacted Roland Support. Any ideas what is happening or how to fix?

TIA
FGM

Re: Fantom 7 Frozen White Logo Screen

Post by FGM »

Try removing the USB stick, if any.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

No USB stick installed except when loading new firmware. Roland responded to use “SHIFT EXIT ENTER” and if that didn’t do anything to reinstall the last firmware update. That didn’t work either, sadly. It’s just stuck on the white Roland logo screen. :( Thanks for responding.
pianoman41

Post by pianoman41 »

flyingace wrote: 01:08, 27 July 2022 No USB stick installed except when loading new firmware. Roland responded to use “SHIFT EXIT ENTER” and if that didn’t do anything to reinstall the last firmware update. That didn’t work either, sadly. It’s just stuck on the white Roland logo screen. :( Thanks for responding.
Did you hold the shift/enter/exit down while powering up the machine and keep them held down during the boot sequence?
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Yes, no difference
osflaa

Post by osflaa »

I had a similar issue with my Fantom 6. However, it froze at the end of the boot sequence, when the display turns black for a second. And it only happened a very few times. It was not related to firmware, but a faulty main board which had to be replaced. I think Roland should fix this for free, no matter if the warranty has expired. It would piss me off if this synth does not work flawlessly for at least 10 years.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Agreed! and hope that is what I hear today! I bought it as they announced it in 2019 and waited until stock hit Musician's Friend. Paid full price and never regretted it — heck, I was even just boasting about it the other day, how it's not a keyboard but a platform. But it's still hardware and it will still fail. 3 years is too soon to lose a main board though. I'll keep this thread updated.
FGM

Post by FGM »

flyingace wrote: 14:17, 27 July 2022 Agreed! and hope that is what I hear today! I bought it as they announced it in 2019 and waited until stock hit Musician's Friend. Paid full price and never regretted it — heck, I was even just boasting about it the other day, how it's not a keyboard but a platform. But it's still hardware and it will still fail. 3 years is too soon to lose a main board though. I'll keep this thread updated.
My second Fantom 8 (my first was returned after 14 days as it went freezing now and then along the last week with me) has an extended guarantee of five years, granted as a gift for registering it. Bought it on December 1st, 2019.

Check yours, flyingace, as you most probably have been gifted the same way...
osflaa

Post by osflaa »

flyingace wrote: 14:17, 27 July 2022 But it's still hardware and it will still fail. 3 years is too soon to lose a main board though. I'll keep this thread updated.
Ironically, I use my 35 years old DX7 as a reliable backup when synths fail 😄
FGM

Post by FGM »

osflaa wrote: 15:59, 27 July 2022
flyingace wrote: 14:17, 27 July 2022 But it's still hardware and it will still fail. 3 years is too soon to lose a main board though. I'll keep this thread updated.
One of those 200000 sold DX7...?

I thought you were using a single string sounding a pure sine wave and Just intonation !!!!
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

osflaa wrote: 15:59, 27 July 2022
Yup, directly above my Fantom is my D50, Alpha Juno 2, Ensoniq ESQ, Yamaha DX11, Yamaha DX7IID and Casio CZ-1000... all working just fine! ugh.
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I had a comparable problem last year.
When I switched it on it froze 3 out 4 times the moment the knobs turned blue.
The screen remained black though.

As the problem seems to occur more frequent I turned to Roland.
I had to send it back to Thomann and received it back two weeks later with the problem gone.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Well, still no response from Roland at all about helping with this expensive (potentially) repair for a keyboard that is in practically new condition after only 3 years it shouldn’t be failing.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

So the repair center called Friday to tell me that the part for the main board, which he believes is the problem, is $1366 plus shipping, along with 1.5 hours of work at $65/hr. This is going to cost me dearly!! I'm so sad, because I have to do it, it's my main keyboard for my studio/life!
FGM

Post by FGM »

Didn't you grab the 5 year guarantee offered when registering your unit ?

Anyway, flying aces are well paid...

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/21/asia ... index.html