Fantom-X 2.0 live sound switching tutorial

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
lazeeboy

Fantom-X 2.0 live sound switching tutorial

Post by lazeeboy »

This thread is all about switching parts within a performance in the fastest way possible during a live gig and other neat sysex stuff! If you are interested bear with me. Here goes:

Now in version 2.0 you can enter songs in live play mode which opens a door so huge (for me at least) I want to share it with you as we can all enter it abreast with room to spare.

Does anyone remember a thread about using RPS to activate and deactivate parts in performance mode? Found it again!

Because OS 1.x didn't allow entering songs in live play mode, I decided to make one all purpose .svq file. Compromises were inevitable (see all about this in the other thread). In OS 2.0 these compomises R.I.P.

The idea is this: for each song you play create an .svq file with patterns and performance data; you assign only the patterns you use to the pads using RPS mode. As you well know the performance data itself is also saved inside the song which effectively gives you unlimited performances in stead of a mere 128 (card included). For each piece of an actual song you create/adapt a pattern that turns ON the desired fantom parts of a fantom performance and turnes OFF all the others.

For your convenience i've made a template.svq for creating these songs. I've filled the first 16 patterns with sysex data to turn OFF all parts. Just micro edit these patterns to turn ON the desired parts. And assign the patterns to the desired pads in RPS mode. I've also made an example.svq to show off the functionality. Remember to turn ON RPS. Watch Mixer->Part View->External while tapping the pads 1 through 5. Also play with the performance while tapping the pads and notice the refreshing absence of any lag whatsoever.

There's only one disadvantage to this method (apart from it taking a long time in preparing you songs) which has to do with the bug that the RPS status is not saved with a song. Each time you advance a song in the live play mode or better said, each time you load the song you MANUALLY have to ACTIVATE the RPS mode. Hopefully this is fixed in a future OS update.

NB.
To minimize the sysex data that is sent you could erase all the sysex strings that do not apply to your performance anyway. And move the sysex strings that turn ON parts to the top to maximize response times. [EDIT]I did some tests concerning these optimizations and what do you think? It makes no difference. Even when I have all 16 parts involved and put the parts that are turned ON at the bottom of the sysex list it's still fast as hell! This makes it all the more simple ;-)[/EDIT]

Throughout the svq file I use the following sysex strings:
CS stands for Checksum and is automagically created for you when Auto Sum is turned on.
The 9th byte is used to determine the part number; 20 for part 1 and 2F for part 16.
The 11th byte is used to turn on or to turn off the part; 00 for OFF and 01 for ON.

Turn ON part 1:

Code: Select all

F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 20 01 01 CS F7
Turn OFF part 1:

F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 20 01 00 CS F7
Turn ON part 2:

F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 21 01 01 CS F7
Turn OFF part 2:

F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 21 01 00 CS F7

Turn ON part 16:

F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 2F 01 01 CS F7
Turn OFF part 16:

F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 2F 01 00 CS F7
I hope some people find this useful. BTW you have to enable [Menu]->System->Midi->Receive->Receive Exclusive for the example files to work.

NEW!!!! a tutorial.

Regards,
Laurenz Nitert
ahasverus

Re: Fantom-X 2.0 live sound switching tutorial

Post by ahasverus »

Thanks Laurenz,

This is really usefull information.

I think this should go in the tutorial section.
dansgold

Post by dansgold »

Awesome concept and work, my friend!
sambasevam

Post by sambasevam »

Brilliant!

too bad we fantom S users cant use it. :-(

or someone has to find a way to do all this in the Fantom S.

---------------------------------------------------------------
If at first you dont suceed, then skydiving is definitively not for you.
lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

sambasevam,

only the ability to put the songs in live play mode is dependent on version 2.0.

Assigning sysex strings to the pads was also possible in version 1.x.

I checked the Fantom S manual and the addressing for the receive switch is exactly the same; even the part where it identifies the Fantom X/S (00 6B) is the same.

In other words: this should also work for the Fantom S.

The micro editting is a little different, but you can edit sysex values in the Fantom S.

If you are unable to load the SVQ file you could build your own one. Record a pattern, go to Mixer->Part View->External and change the value for the Receive switch. This is now recorded in the pattern. Be sure to move the event to the absolute start of the pattern.

Don't write your Fantom S off just yet ;-)

Good luck,
Laurenz Nitert
sambasevam

Post by sambasevam »

I knew that SysEx code was possible in the Fantom S, but i thought this guy was talking about something that was possible only in the live mode!

NOW, it makes sense. :-)

I've tried sysEx ideas myself, like for changing MFXs within a song and stuff....NEAT!!!

lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

Indeed, a lot of stuff's possible. I feel I'm just scratching the surface here.

What about tempo changes. Would it be possible to have tempo changes under the pads. We only have to find the correct address and sysex string to do this.

What else can be done. As Sambasevam says realtime MFX programming. Say for instance you want 4 or 5 MFX settings in one song, but you don't need them concurrently. You could just change it's settings during the song by tapping a pad. The annoying transition noises could be avoided by programming a disable command first and then making the neccesary changes and enabling the MFX again.

It should even be possible to program entire performances in a pattern as a performance is nothing but sysex data anyway. Just overwrite the temporary performance with new data. This effectively lets you cross the 16 part barrier if you don't need all 16 parts at once (which you probably don't since that would deplete the available voices faster than you can say "waffuk").

You see: it only takes some imagination and a lot of time.

Let's hear your ideas guys!

Regards,
Laurenz
sambasevam

Post by sambasevam »

plus, i'm going to try out the vocoder effect next by connecting Pitch shifters in parrallel.

xonox

Post by xonox »

i think you could also use an external midi controller to send sysex strings. Fantom S users wanting to mute/unmute parts could do this since i think the fantom S OS does not let you mute parts with the pads...
sambasevam

Post by sambasevam »

not just that, you can use SysEx to send changes to other external gear connected to the fantom!

Keys BeMe

Post by Keys BeMe »

Awesome info!

TRIPLE THREAT PRODUCTIONS

"Don't make excuses, Make it happen"
lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

Xonox, are you sure my solution doesn't work with the Fantom S? Have you tried it? Please do so because I think it'll work. You don't need external gear to do this. It's not really the "muting with the pads" function the Fantom X has (and apparently the S does not) but it's more of an all purpose swiss army knife which also is able to mute parts. Stay with us and be amazed.

Sambasevam: how are you going to do a vocoder effect using 3 parallel pitch shifters? I'm interested.

Thanks to the logical seperation of sequencer and sound generator it's possible to use sysex internally as well as externally.

So it's even possible to have entire patches/performances of other equipment at you fingertips. Just record a patch dump and assign it a pad. See all about patch dumps here; thanks to Artemio.

Let's keep this thread going.

Regards,
Laurenz Nitert
Spo Elman

Post by Spo Elman »

I think i'm quicker in saying Waffuk! :-)
you should come by and explain me sometime laurenz! :-)
lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

That you Edwienus? ;-) Just heard you purchased an X7. Way to go! That makes it all the more easy to take over from me in summer. ;-)

Have you tried my svq files yet? Whaddayathink?
xonox

Post by xonox »

lazeeboy : well i do not have a fantom S, i have a fantom X. I just wanted to mention this simple idea for fantom S users that do not have ( i think ) part muting from the pads. Some midi control surfaces have buttons to which you can assign sysex strings and i thought this could be useful for fantom S users. Part muting is one feature i use all the time.

sambasevam : yeah, i use my fantom for all the sysex stuff now. I don't need to turn on the computer to back up the patches from my other gear :)