Pheng vs. phpBB

Questions related to Roland Clan site and forum
Artemiy
Site Admin

Pheng vs. phpBB

Post by Artemiy »

Hey all!

I know that phpBB is generally more feature-rich than Pheng (which is a forum powered by one-man army ;-)), e.g. it has private messages, nice composer etc. However, it was nice for me to check out and see that Pheng is much more lightweight compared to phpBB in terms of the final HTML code. I see that Pheng displays much more info onscreen with less graphics, but phpBB has much more size in generated pages with less content.

For example, I compared the Fantomized forum with Mandriva club forum, we have about the same amount of sections:

Forums home page, Pheng: 20,3 KB
Forum view, Pheng: 30,2 KB

Forums home page, phpBB: 41,5 KB
Forum view, phpBB: 88,4 KB

So on average Pheng produces at least twice as lightweight code. Nice! ;-)))

A.
dboulden

Re: Pheng vs. phpBB

Post by dboulden »

As a user, I find Pheng much easier to use and navigate and in my opinion is much more pleasing to the eye than most phpBB installations I have used. It seems to me that Pheng concentrates on *being a forum* whereas phpBB seems to get more and more features "just because it can".

Not that I dislike phpBB, in fact I really like it, but simply preferr the fact that Pheng concentrates on it's core purpose.

:o)

Dave

http://www.drstudio.demon.co.uk/
"Musicians fall into three categories: those with a physical block, those with a mental block and those with a wooden block". Unfortunately, I'm in the 1st category!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Thanks, Dave!

Yes, I like phpBB too of course, but find it's interface a bit more complicated.
breakbeatmonster

not forum-ized

Post by breakbeatmonster »

hi.

as a not-so-often-forum-user I've seen more phpBB as Pheng in the net. Here at fantomized is the first time I use pheng more often and i've to say that is really comfortable and handy...!
BTW: I really enjoy using this forum. the people are very obligning and funny and you find hardly none off-topic messages...

for weblog reasons i use wordpress which is also smart and user friendly in my eyes.

i still looking for a good content management system in php. many of my friends using typo3 (typo3.com) which is quite powerful ... but generates lots of unwanted html code...and is quite complicated on administration site.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

breakbeatmonster:

Pheng is my own software, I am it's one and only coder. It took over two years to have what we have now! But soon I will add a new admin system and I will release it under GPL.

As about a CMS, I am currently developing a CMS based on PHP. It will allow to create various site sections each with different page types: usual page, gallery, etc. It will have a blogging system and newsletter system integrated and of course it will be very lightweight in pure XHTML 1.1 / CSS 2.0.
breakbeatmonster

Post by breakbeatmonster »

*lol* ah! this is the reason why i didn't see Pheng before! I'm an real expert as you see. :-) great work by the way! puting it under gpl would be great.

I do programming in asp.net and using suff like the rainbow-project. My php-days are years ago and i'm not up to date and don't know which cms is "hip". I'm curious about seeing what YOUR cms will be like...

in the asp-world I realy like the possibility to have controls in ".ascx"-Files and use it in a aspx-Page like modules ... its more like just including other files,... you can inherit from controls you got and stuff like this. but it so heavy weight in page-size ... its a shame! its the microsoft-way of life: "Our programs are fine ... make the internet and your PCs faster!" ;-)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Well, I quit dealing with M$ software almost 3 years ago, switched to Linux and will never regret my decision. I now have a very flexible and super-fast OS, all the apps I need that read all possible file formats, no need to reboot after any software/driver installs, etc. Happy life! ;-)

As about PHP, yes, I use file includes which are like includes in C/C++ which inherit everything, but now at runtime since these are scripts. I love PHP, it's really great, simple and fast.
dboulden

Post by dboulden »

Artemio, if you are going to include a WYSIWYG editor in your CMS then I would recommend FCK (http://www.fckeditor.net/) which is also Open Source (LGPL) and becoming very popular. I use this a a couple of my own commercial products. One of the really cool features is a pop-up on-screen keyboard that can be switched between many languages... it even covers Ukranian! It also has some nifty server-side routines that connect to the client-side javascript for file management... really neat! Also comes with a PHP class to allow implementation of the client-side via a simple class object in PHP.

:o)

Dave

http://www.drstudio.demon.co.uk/
"Musicians fall into three categories: those with a physical block, those with a mental block and those with a wooden block". Unfortunately, I'm in the 1st category!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Thanks for the link Dave, but I want to have my own composer.

I plan totally rewriting this forum. I know this sounds crazily, but the way the code is organised is not satisfactory for me and it's often really hard to incorporate new features. But one of the things that will be new in the GUI is a composer which would allow for easy text formatting and insertion of URLs, so this composer would go to the CMS as well.
andrikaa

Post by andrikaa »

Converting Javascript based database to Excel? It have a yellow pages CD with a search option. The database is written in javascript. I want to convert that database to EXCEL format. How can i convert that database from Javascript to Excel format or csv format? Any tools/software which I can download to convert it.

Post by Andy Keys »

I find the admin tools quite confusing on phpBB.

For example, someone changed *something* a while back that stopped me being able to reply to private messages. It took me ages to find out what had chanegd and then how I had to change it back.

Also, I cannot fathom why some users (anotherscott for one) have to have their posts 'approved' even though they have no warnings or obvious moderation settings.