XV-2020 Sysex

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
vsyn7425

XV-2020 Sysex

Post by vsyn7425 »

I'd like to backup the User Patch memory of my XV-2020 using Sysex messages but I have come across some particular problems that I don't appear to overcome.

I wanted to create sysex messages that request the User Patch memory from patch 1 to 128, so I created seperate sysex messages that requested the following areas of memory:

Patch Common
Patch Common MFX
Patch Common Chorus
Patch Common Reverb
Patch TMT
Patch Tone 1
Patch Tone 2
Patch Tone 3
Patch Tone 4

The above involved creating a sysex string for each area in memory using the details contained in the midi implementation section of the owners manual.

Then I thought what if I extended one sysex request string to include all areas of the above sections then would it still return all of the relevant parameters. It does, but a major problem is that if trying to load more than one or two patches using SendSX, it does not return all values in full. I have tried to use midi throttling to send sysex strings slower but with no success. I simply do not get all the values requested.

Does anyone know why this should be. The XV-2020 editor made by Roland must use Sysex to communicate with the synth but it does not allow for saving files in Sysex format which is a great shame. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
rcraven

Re: XV-2020 Sysex

Post by rcraven »

Hi

If you are using a PC you can use MidiOx.
Use the View / Sysex page to request the patch.
- don't forget to connect the MidiOx Event Port to the XV2020 so your sysex is sent there.
In the sysex dialog select Sysex / Configure and change the 'Delay after F7' value to put gaps between the sysex messages.
Place your sysex requests messages in the top Command window and run Command Window / Send Receive Sysex.
It will ask for a file name and then send your sysex in the command window out the MidiOx Event Port while recording to all inputs connected.

You can use the Roland Library program to get your patches.
The Roland Export an SMF (Standard Midi File) is just sysex embedded in a Midi file.
You can convert the Midi files to sysex with a program I wrote for PC https://bwalk.com.au/MidiUtil/FileConvert.html

Or you could use a DAW and record the XV sysex to a track.
Put your sysex messages in a track to play back while you are recording the XV2020's returned sysex.
Change the tempo to change the gap time or move it in the track.

Hope that helps
All the best
Royce
vsyn7425

Re: XV-2020 Sysex

Post by vsyn7425 »

Thankyou Royce (rcraven) for your response, it has helped me in finding a solution to my problem. I switched to Midi-OX and found it was possible to set
both the "Delay after F7", (as you suggested), and also the buffer delay setting. Using both these settings helped me in solving my problem. I just trimmed the settings down until the speed was acceptable and it gave me solid results.

I also amended my way of requesting sysex from the XV-2020. Instead of requesting the User memories using a single sysex string, I reverted back to requesting different areas of the Patch User memory seperately. I think this helped because there was a request message then a response whereas by using a single sysex string there was a request message then 9 strings as a reply. Perhaps this was tripping SendSX up.

I am currently putting together the request strings required to retrieve the Patch User memory in it's entirety (without checksum errors). Cheers Royce.