Bugs Thread (Hardware/Firmware/Software)

The workstation, redefined
pianoman41

Bugs Thread (Hardware/Firmware/Software)

Post by pianoman41 »

Mods can you make this a sticky at the top of the forum? We should keep a single thread for reporting all known or perceived bugs/issues with the Fantom platform (currently at build 1.04). This is not for missing features/functions or requests for new functions--just things that don't currently work as expected.
pianoman41

Re: Bugs Thread (Hardware/Firmware/Software)

Post by pianoman41 »

Does anyone else have their TR-REC lights at random times all flash light blue at once for a split second? I can't seem to duplicate on demand, but mine will all just strobe once and then back to normal. The flash is really fast and may only happen once during an hour's worth of playing/programming. Don't know if its a hardware glitch particular to my board or a global issue.
theshine

Post by theshine »

Yes I think this is a glitch, mine does it to, it hasn't caused me any issues so far though.
pianoman41

Post by pianoman41 »

theshine wrote:Yes I think this is a glitch, mine does it to, it hasn't caused me any issues so far though.
Agreed. It doesn't seem to affect the unit but it definitely happens.
maphill

Post by maphill »

Typo: MFX 51: Overdrive->Dalay (should obviously be "Delay")
johnb8897

Post by johnb8897 »

[quote="pianoman41"]Does anyone else have their TR-REC lights at random times all flash light blue at once for a split second? I can't seem to duplicate on demand, but mine will all just strobe once and then back to normal. The flash is really fast and may only happen once during an hour's worth of playing/programming. Don't know if its a hardware glitch particular to my board or a global

Yes mine does that just a random flash here and there... thought it might be possessed lol
exchoki

Post by exchoki »

I purchased a Fantom 6 back in September. Normally during power up, the Function knob LEDs cycle colors until turning blue, when the Roland logo pops up on the screen followed by a colorful animation. Once in a while, after pressing the power button, said LEDs cycle through their normal color Schemes and upon reaching blue, the screen remains black and the Fantom appears to be frozen. Tonight, for the first time since I updated the firmware last week, instead of the screen remaining black, the screen was yellow with vertical green lines when the function knobs turned blue. As usual a power reset resolves the issue. I finally decided to email Roland support regarding this issue. Is anyone else having this issue?
fanpad

Post by fanpad »

exchoki wrote: Tonight, for the first time since I updated the firmware last week, instead of the screen remaining black, the screen was yellow with vertical green lines when the function knobs turned blue.
Yes, I've had this several times with v1.04 but its not (yet) re-occurred since updateing to v1.10 !
exchoki

Post by exchoki »

I just received a response from Roland regarding the black screen or yellow with green lines during bootup and their response is that the unit “may” need service, but no mention of what might be causing this. For this they suggest either sending the Fantom to their service center in LA or a local authorized service repair center. Any thoughts?
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

How close are you to a service center? Authorized service center is a better option than shipping keyboards. They are going to swap a board and see if the problem goes away.
exchoki

Post by exchoki »

Devnor wrote:How close are you to a service center? Authorized service center is a better option than shipping keyboards. They are going to swap a board and see if the problem goes away.
There are at least 2 that I know of within 20 miles. I’ll be giving them a call tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice
Per

Post by Per »

Aftertouch is completely broken on the 8. Not only does it require immense pressure that will break the keybed and injure your hands to activate resulting in a hard 0-128 instantly with no slope, it requires even more pressure when more keys are being pressed!

Some calibration tools and options in the OS would solve this as clearly there’s a software component involved as well as the hardware (if it were hardware only then pressing extra keys would either make it easier to achieve aftertouch or result in no change in pressure)l so there’s no excuse to not fix this.
mostinif

Post by mostinif »

Yes. I agree. It's a severe failure in the Fantom 8.
On Fantom G there exist a "Service" boot mode (pressing tempo and Effect Routing buttons while power on). This mode is a diagnostic tool that also allows calibrate after touch pressure (min level and max level) in both keyboard and dynamic pad.
Roland should issue a technical note or supporting document explaining how to solve this problem. either requires technical service support or is resolved via software update/setup.

I checked SYSTEM menu, Keyboard Setup, After Touch (AFT) option (has a value 100).
Break-a-nerve

Post by Break-a-nerve »

Per wrote:Aftertouch is completely broken on the 8. Not only does it require immense pressure that will break the keybed and injure your hands to activate resulting in a hard 0-128 instantly with no slope, it requires even more pressure when more keys are being pressed!

Some calibration tools and options in the OS would solve this as clearly there’s a software component involved as well as the hardware (if it were hardware only then pressing extra keys would either make it easier to achieve aftertouch or result in no change in pressure)l so there’s no excuse to not fix this.
Same with 7 as well. Totally unusable. Whoever is in charge of letting that out as is should be punished. I think that seriously affects the shop demo appeal.
RichardT

Post by RichardT »

It's the same on my Fantom 6. Given that the keys on Fantom 8 have a totally different construction to those on the 6 & 7, would that suggest that this is more likely to be a software issue?