Fantom not recording modulation changes done on a decay...

The workstation, redefined
FGM

Fantom not recording modulation changes done on a decay...

Post by FGM »

It's August, all the family at home, and I am not placing a finger on the keyboard till September...

Anyway, I am pretty upset after recording a song on late July.

It uses a couple of harpsichords (modified to my liking as the very song requires), pianos, bells, castanets....synth pads...and so on till everything is full up and enough is enough.

Now, and regardless, the fact is that after what was supposed to be the last recording, I decided to add another little piece to the ending. Yes, I would go transmitting my name in Morse code using the modulation stick, initially, and a DP-10 pedal as soon as I received it. Good. Done. Easier on the stick, but harder to reach. More concentration required with the pedal, as per human body design, but more elegant when seen, as no aerobatics needed.

Went great and sounded outstandingly...
After the last chord, FGM>>> ..-. --. -- was performed for three times using the remaining sound, while the tone was decaying slowly....

Then I pressed play and enjoyed the song a lot until I saw nothing was recorded while performing the Morse code at the ending, no FGM...FGM...FGM, just a blurrr, brrrr or something.

Well, back to recording on a laptop.

I am starting to understand the hard way those tiny differences between audio and MIDI recording, the latest seemingly being death or recording just the void if no key is being pressed, or what...? A MIDI being modified after being played is not part of the data worth recording....?
Per

Re: Fantom not recording modulation changes done on a decay...

Post by Per »

It’s down to how they’ve implemented their recording system. In a normal DAW it would record all events and let you clean up any extras. But onboard the Fantom it appears unless a note is being held the events are not recorded in order to automatically clean up/save space. I’m not sure I like that approach, but the onboard system isn’t well equipped to modify existing events or create new ones compared to a real DAW.
FGM

Re: Fantom not recording modulation changes done on a decay...

Post by FGM »

....a note being held....?

That is the very problem itself.

A key being held....a note being held...notes being held...

Press a key, hear the voices and their effects, release the key, play more voices (via HOLD-OFF delay) that triggers more effects....enjoy the long decays achieved by having modified their envelopes and use yet another control to modulate some of them a bit further into the song as they fade off...and see how Fantom does not record it.

Fantom is not modeless: play mode, recording mode.