Why global delay again?! [Solved]

The latest in the Jupiter line
Duplobaustein

Why global delay again?! [Solved]

Post by Duplobaustein »

Why is there a send level per part for the scene reverb and chorus but not for the scene delay? So like on the XA the scene delay is again on all parts or on no parts. Makes absolutely no sense. So AGAIN I have to waste the MFX to get a delay only on one part, and can't use all the great mod fx on this part.

What sense does a global delay make on a synth like this? I just don't get it.
JeffB63

Re: Why global delay again?!

Post by JeffB63 »

1st world problems eh? ;)
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

Of course. Any problem you have with a synth is a first world problem.

I just don't get it. What makes the delay different, that it doesn't have a send parameter. In what specific case on a multitimbral synth with a drum part would I want the delay on every part with the same amount? Just like on the XA I will hardly use it and lose the nice mod MFX for delays.
DesertBoat

Post by DesertBoat »

Disclaimer - My Xm has not arrived yet, so I am spending lots of time in the manuals.

On p.4. of the reference guide, under scene part, there is an entry for delay send. In the midi implementation guide, there is also a part delay send level, along with the part chorus and part reverb send.

So delay level should be controllable by individual part, according to the manuals. Worst case, should be addressable by sysex. Prolly one of my first MDP2 layouts will be a good top level mixer page, consolidating all these controls. But going to be a few weeks.
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

That would be great! I neither couldn't find it in the manual nor on the machine itself. Hopefully I stand corrected! :D
DesertBoat

Post by DesertBoat »

The effects routing appears to be very robust, with many selectable routes, not all shown on this diagram:

I am working a MDP2 layout for the JupiterX that should help reaching in to many of these controls. Preview of a few controls below. Prolly a few weeks away from initial release.

Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

That's clearly a delay send per part. :)

Thx!
DesertBoat

Post by DesertBoat »

This picture shows all the various feeds available in the Fx chain.

In "Thru" mode, there are separate sends for chorus, reverb, and delay.

"Drive" mode also has three sends, but all parts going through Drive get the same settings. This does not appear to be a limitation, as drive (= distortion) prolly only gets used on a single part.

The Chorus effect also includes all five Delay models, so Chorus can be a second Delay with different model or parameter settings.

Drive, Chorus, and Delay all can send to Reverb. Reverb is the most complex, receiving sends from Tone Mfx, Part Mfx, Drive, Chorus, and Delay Reverb sends.

There are actually so many controls that this took some time to decipher and ensure it was captured properly. This overview is from the Jupiter Xm Manager layout for MDP2. And it was your original question that got me to research this topic in detail.

Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

Yes, it's massively upgraded from the JD XA!